Secunia Software Inspector

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, ive got the lastest versions of all the software but it seems macromedia never uninstalled the older version of 9,8,7,5 of flash player.
    how do i remove the older versions shown in the screenshot?
    I cant find them in add/remove programs.
    lodore

Attached Files:

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Lodore.

Hi Just went through this, expand the red x, you should see a path something like c:\windows\system32\macromedia. Software inspector should reference (in my case) flash.ocx. My folder had to .ocx files. I changed the name (referenced by software inspector) to flash.old. Re-ran soft inspect with no problem. It seems when you upgrade Flash, Flash is not removing all of the previous version, hence soft inspect is seeing the remnants.

Take Care
    Rico

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

My question would be, by renaming them, not removing them, have you eliminated the threat? In my quick read of Google to find Lodore the link, there are references to manually deleting those files among others as one method of uninstalling.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

What I should have said was I changed its name to see if the problem went away, caused no adverse effects, then deleted flash.ocx. I may be wrong here, anyone feel free to correct me, but I do not think the vulnerability exsisted when the name was changed, malware would need to target flash.ocx & because its name was changed, malware would not see it. Also the rest of the files, which were associated with the old flash.ocx, were removed. I believe Software Inspector was reacting to a remnant of the old (not completely removed) macromedia.

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.