Search Central problems

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by TheApostate, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheApostate

TheApostate Registered Member

Hi there folks

I yesterday ran into a problem with a BHO, coolwebsearch if I remember it correctly. Ran Spybot and thought that was that. I noticed that my home page had been changed to http://searchcentral.cc and went into the registry removing all the entries I could find. That was that, or so I thought. Seems Spybot may have miised this one, cos it was back again tonight. Ran spybot, it found nothing, installed and ran Adaware and it cleared out some stuff from registry and files on my drive. I also ran HJT and had it remove entries. Then my IE browser had a bit of a speed wobble in that whenever I went to a page, or tried should I say, it for some reason cused IE to say that it couldn't find the search page, I basicaly couldn't type in any URL's. I rebooted, reran adaware and spybot and then reconnected and all seems fine now. What I'm wanting to know is this, how recent is this nasty and why did spybot miss it?? I'm on a win xp pro system, run avast! AV, spybot, adaware(now) and also spywareblaster.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi TheApostate :)

Are u sure your system is clean now?

CoolWebSearch is a Homepage hijacker.

I would advise u to follow the instructions here,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913
    U could skip down to step 2 since u have already run Adaware and Spybot.

then one of the experts will check your HijackThis log for any malware.

Hope this helps.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.