SeaMonkey 2.15.1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That looks an interesting browser.:D

3. Daveski17

It shares the same engine as Firefox (Gecko) & is, in effect, Firefox's predecessor. It is also an entire suite with a mail client & a HTML editor. I've always liked it.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

the integrated email sounds good.what kind of extensions can you get for it.will firefox add ons run with this browser?

5. Daveski17

Many Fx add-ons are ported for SM (NoScript, ABP, RequestPolicy etc).

SeaMonkey Add-Ons

I particularly like these themes: Venerable Modern & EarlyBlue

Because of Mozilla's ridiculous rapid release policy Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3 is a necessity as an add-on nowadays. Ignore the caveat Not available for SeaMonkey 2.15. it will download & will enable most extensions/add-ons to work.

Overall, it's quite customisable, you can click & drag a lot of the GUI around.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Daveski17, sorry to be a bit OT, but I was wondering, have you ever tried the HTGuard 64 bit SeaMonkey build? I was just curious to hear your thoughts on it if you did. I'm using his Thunderbird variant for several months, and am very happy with it.

7. Daveski17

No, I have not tried any of the unofficial x64 versions (yet). I believe that there are x64 Linux versions as well.

8. Cimmerian

Okay, thanks for the reply. As I'm currently debating in my mind the benefits of an all-in-one vs separate components, I might just give it a whirl myself.

9. Daveski17

I like it anyway, it's a good back-up for Firefox. I only have experience with the x86 SeaMonkey though.

You may really need Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3 though. I really do recommend it.

10. Cimmerian

Thanks for the tip..:thumb: I've tried SeaMonkey in the past, it did its job well enough, never had any issues with it. It actually makes me think of back in the day with Netscape Navigator, and the early Mozilla suites. Funny how we sometimes go full circle, and might wind up where we started..:D

11. Daveski17

SeaMonkey's origins are Netscape Navigator/Communicator I believe. It just goes to show what a bloody good design it was originally for it to still survive to this day.

12. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I used Seamonkey for the better part of 2012 – then in December, after an update (can't remember which version) I had issues with Sandboxie – Seamonkey opened just fine, but wouldn't launch sandboxed! Kept requesting creation and\or change of Profile (or something) and refused to open! I was unable to resolve the issue so uninstalled Seamonkey.
    Some time later I discovered the probable cause of my issues with 'sandboxed' SeaMonkey – I found a [TemplateSettings] entry with a path to my AppData folder stuck halfway down my Sandboxie.ini file (which is quite long) - I think that the update created this addditonal entry and this may well have conflicted with the original [TemplateSettings] entry at the beginning of the .ini file. :gack:

Anyway, now that I know the cause, I will probably use Seamonkey again sometime soon, as I have standardised all my browsers (I use 5) on Mozilla 'clones' and am always on the lookout for similar type browsers. :)

13. Daveski17

I've never used Sandboxie. I have never really had any problems with SeaMonkey. Well, apart from the Ajax scripting bug in some pages (usually Yahoo!). All it does is make the throbber 'bubble' away (depending on theme LOL) & the page actually does load, it's just that the throbber just doesn't really know this.

14. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Just decided to retry Seamonkey – have installed and configured it to work with Sandboxie – No issues this time! ;)

Using it specifically as my 'Downloads' browser – eg, have all my 'trusted' download sites configured. My existing 'downloads' browser was using 270+MBs when loaded (I use Task Managers 'private working set' as a quick and dirty memory meter) so I thought, what the hell, why not try Seamonkey again? It's using less than half the memory of the browser it replaced!
    So everything looking good! :D

15. Daveski17

SM is good at downloading, this can't be said for all browsers. You may be interested in KaiRo's Jökulsárlón Download Manager 0.4 which I believe he originally coded for SeaMonkey. It is not unlike Opera's download manager.

16. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Thanks for the tip Daveski17 – but I don't bother with Download Managers as I only download stuff occasionally – plus it's just another process to slow the browser! I try using the minimum possible addons (already have Adblock Plus, Noscript, Do Not Track, WOT) – so browser is already staggering under the load! - Sandboxie also slows browser launch, so for me it's overkill.

Cheers! :thumb:

17. Daveski17

You're welcome Krysis. Speaking of WOT for SeaMonkey, I find that it affects SeaMonkey's GUI & won't allow icons (like ABP or NoScript) to be displayed on SeaMonkey's taskbar. As a consequence of this they all usually end up in the GUI inbetween the throbber & the runbar for me. I could only solve this by removing WOT altogether. I use WOT on other browsers & kind of miss it on SeaMonkey, but until this bug is fixed I can live without it I guess. I only use a few extensions myself, although many of them seem to have no discernible effect on speed in my experience. To compensate for the slight 'layer' loss of WOT I tend to use RequestPolicy in conjunction with NoScript. If anything, it can fine tune NS, & by stopping some scripts can probably speed up page loading to some extent.

18. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Still trying to work out what the Seamonkey icon is supposed to be. Is it a bird? (well, a bird with no feet) or a whale....dolphin even? I guess a monkey with flippers would be a bit much? Not to mention as ugly as sin! :gack:

19. Cimmerian

It's a brine shrimp. When I was a kid, they used to have kits that came with a tank, food, some chemicals, and brine shrimp eggs. Add it all to water, and you had live shrimp swimming around in a few days. The shrimp were marketed under the name "Sea Monkeys".

20. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Amazing! So that's where the name came from - never would have thought of a shrimp!
    Boy, you guys sure had some weird things to play with as kids! :D

21. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

If you run one of the Red Hat clones (CentOS or Scientifc) SeaMonkey 64 bit package (latest) is in the epel repository. Much better than the 'unofficial' version as it is built to integrate perfectly with those systems.

22. Daveski17

I believe that the original code name for SeaMonkey was 'Butt Monkey' or something & they decided to modify it somewhat. ;)

23. Daveski17

Yes, I have heard from some Linux guys something similar. SM is very popular with many Linux users as a whole anyway.

24. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Ha Ha! - I can see that they might have had an issue with that name! :D

25. Daveski17

Yeah, I hate to think what could have possibly been put on the throbber icon! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.