Script File Removes Windows messenger From WinXP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jnibori, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

Came across this script file that will remove Windows Messenger in WinXP

I did it, and it worked fine. The only problem is that if you use MSN Explorer a message appears talking about how WM is a critical part of that program. I reinstalled it, as I use MSN mail. But, if you don't need MSN Explorer and want to stop WM from running when ever you boot -

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

(I'll get these in the correct forums one day)

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

You could also use IEClean (not free !):
    www.nsclean.com

some quotes from the helpfile:
    [hr]
    Microsoft is now including their own incompatible version of AOL Instant Messenger called "MSN Messenger" with Internet Explorer and it is designed to start every time you run Windows whether you want it to or not. MSN Messenger is a resource hog and can bring many systems to their knees as it drains resources. While you are online, MSN Messenger is in contact with MSN and presents a potential for system attacks.

Selecting this option causes MSN Messenger to fail to load at startup and prevents its icon from appearing on the traybar. It does NOT interfere with use of MSN Messenger if you want to run it from Internet Explorer and frees a considerable amount of resources by not allowing it to run unless you ask it to.

3. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

Hi, and thanks for the additional information.

Do I have the ability to uninstall WM, and still use MSN Explorer? Or, is it in fact a critical part of that program as well? I got a warning box indicating that is was (so why am I asking then?) I guess I want somebody to tell me it's really not needed.

There are some other tips to prevent it from loading with Windows, but I can never get it to work. I don't use it,and I don't want it. I do, however, use MSN Explorer for my forum mail.

One last thing. When I close it out of the tray, is the program running in the background, still using resources?

Thank-you

Just re-read you post;

Not sure how to accomplish this, but it sounds like what have been trying to do. Any additional information be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.