Scheduling Questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SmallStep, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmallStep

SmallStep Registered Member

In a multi-user environment, does the user who creates a TI task have to be the user under whose ID the task runs? The fact that there is an entry box for "username" suggests that you can use any user name, as long as you use the form Computername\username, but it isn't clear if it actually will work if set up to run under a username different from the one who is actually creating the task.

More importantly, is it sufficient that the computer be on (that is, active and not in standby or hibernate) at the scheduled task start time, or does the user under whose ID the task is scheduled to operate have to be logged on? That is, if I have user A and user B, and schedule a task to run under user A's ID and password, but user B is logged on at the scheduled start time, will the task run? What will happen if no user is logged on (i.e., the system is at the Windows "Welcome" screen)?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

RE standby/hibernate -- ATI scheduler will not wake a PC to run a task -- you would have to shcedule tasks from the Windows Task Scheduler to be able to do that.

3. SmallStep

Thanks for the very informative links. I figured that the ATI scheduler wouldn't wake out of standby, but I was wondering what would happen if the system was NOT in standby but the user wasn't logged on. That is, I set Windows to NEVER standby or hibernate, but configure the ATI scheduler to run as user A, but forget and user B is logged on when the time comes.

If no one knows the answer to that question, I'll just use the Windows scheduler as outlined in the other threads.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

In the past I have logged on as UserA and created a task using the name and password of UserB. UserB is never logged on and the task always ran OK.

5. SmallStep

Thanks. I've switched to using the Windows Scheduler because of its ability to wake from standby to do the task. The only downside I see is that what Acronis calls the "Traffic Light Bar" doesn't realize that backups have been made because they haven't been scheduled through TI itself.

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Try creating a scheduled task that only backs up one small folder and schedule it to run a few minutes after you create it. See if that removes the "Traffic" problem. Then you can delete the image file and the task.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Just do like the rest of us and ignore that "Alert". Afterrall, if your are running on schedules, then you generally should have to load up the user interface and you won't see it.

I.e., it would only be of benefit to people who wouldn't ordinarily see it -- one of the whackier features ATI has ever come up with. But it doesn't do any damage except for some minor apprehension when it's first encountered and thought to be meaningful. So just chuckle, ignore, and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.