Scheduler doesn't kick off backup job

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by baskervi, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baskervi

baskervi Registered Member

We have two servers that are having problems running the backup jobs. Both are Win2K8 SP2. I have the backup jobs scheduled to start at 6:00 every evening, but they won't start. In the next run time a job is scheduled for tonight. 6:00 will come and go, there will not be an entry in the "Last Result" field, and there is no indication that the backup job even attempted to start. There is nothing in the event viewer. I have the jobs set to run whether the user is logged on or not, and it runs with the highest privileges. I've also made sure there is not a scripts*.exe running when the jobs kick off. Even though the jobs do not automatically start, I can start them manually, and they complete successfully.

Other tasks do run successfully. I also created a separate full backup for Sunday nights at the same time as the other jobs, and the Sunday backup runs on one machine but not the other. I've since deleted the jobs that won't start and recreated them, but they still don't start. I might add that the Task Scheduler service is running on both machines.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can try? Thanks

2. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

Try disabling all other tasks

It may be that another task is running at the same time and it is set to "Do Not Start New Instance" in the settings tab.

Try disabling all other tasks to see if your backup task will run correctly, or set the other task to "Run New Instance in Parallel"

3. baskervi

All other tasks were disabled, but it still didn't kick off. If I hit the refresh key, eventually the Next Run Time increments to the next day it's supposed to run, but the Last Run Time maintains the date that I has manually run the task. I know I've already stated this, but the Last Run Result says "The operation completed successfully. (0x0)" I can manually start the program, and it starts right off after it automatically failed to launch. I went into task manager before the backup job was manually started, and there was no Paragon task running.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Just a comment that is not closely related but it may provide a clue if Paragon is using Windows scheduler.

I had problem running scheduled task (not Paragon) in Vista and I don't think it was restricted to Vista. Task didn't run at all scheduled but would run manually.

Had to run the task as LOCAL SERVICE in the "when running task, use the following account" box. Putting administrator account name wouldn't work.

Like I said this may be absolutely, totally unrelated but maybe it will help lead to a solution.

5. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

Try this, it works for me.

Find a task that you know is running and in good order, export it to the desktop by right clicking on it. Then export the non working Paragon task to the desktop, right click on the downloaded paragon file and select Edit.

select and copy the <Exec> to </Exec> commend close to the bottom of the document. Edit the copied task that you know is working and paste the <Exec> to </Exec> commend over the existing one. Save the document and change it's name to something like Backup Task.

Open the Task Scheduler and Under Actions Import the task Backup Task, change the Trigger time and see if it works.

Good Luck.

6. baskervi

Thank you very much for the idea. Yes, this did work. After thinking about the job layout, it finally dawned on me that the backup that was succeeding was going to a different drive (a shared drive). All backups that were failing were going to a locally attached drive. I've put a share folder on the local USB drive, and I'm pointing the backups there, so I'm hopeful this will work. Thanks again, cincinnatijack.

7. baskervi

I thought it was going to work saving to a share, but it didn't. This is just too frustrating. Given I can kick the backup job off manually and it completes successfully, I'll probably open a case with the Microsoft forum and see what I need to do to troubleshoot task scheduler. I kicked off the backups manually a moment ago, but when it's done, I'll see if it will run if I'm logged in.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you find a solution, please post it so we can all benefit.
    Thanks

9. baskervi

I'm still wrestling with this. I've configured the job to only run if logged in, and I hear a beep but nothing happens. I'm going to try to reinstall the software, so I hope this works.

10. baskervi

I did a "sfc /scannow", and everything came back clean. I did a chkdsk, and everything came back good on this. I've done numerous reboots. I had intended on reinstalling drive backup, but there were a couple Windows updates, including IE9. Viola! After installing updates and rebooting (system came back up at 5:55), the backup ran automatically at 6:00. I decided to check the update history, and it turns out the backups stopped running automatically around the time I had run the last updates. I'm going to chalk this up to Windows updates. I'll repost if the backups don't continue after tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.