Scheduled task paralyses computer...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Karl in NY, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl in NY

Karl in NY Registered Member

I've been sucessfully using TrueImage for manual whole-disk imaging for several years. Never a problem.

Now, I want to use it for daily scheduled backups of "My Documents" to a NAS drive on my LAN. I'm running Win XP Pro (SP2) on a fast machine with 2GB RAM.

Once the scheduled task begins to run at the appointed time, the machine becomes unresponsive for other tasks. I can't even launch Task Manager to determine resource utilization... Based on observation of the lights on my switch, the backup seems to be running despite not being able to multitask while it's running. A hard-boot is the only way out.

My version is 10, build 4942.

What am I doing wrong?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I’d start by checking the priority setting for the task. If it’s set to High, other things will be very slow.

3. Karl in NY

Backup priority was originally set at Medium, but according to the log was reset (by TrueImage apparently) to Low, probably when resources went too low to continue.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"I've been sucessfully using TrueImage for manual whole-disk imaging for several years."

Were these backups also going to the NAS?

5. Karl in NY

No, to an external USB hard drive.

I'm starting to smell a rat...the NAS is a cheap Coolmax enclosure...file format is FAT32 (via Samba, I think), whereas C:\ is NTFS...

My attempts to use other automated backup software with the NAS as a destination have not gone well, either. I just tried a trial version of "Second Copy" to the same NAS destination, and I'm getting "Unable to set date for the following file" on every file copied when I review the log...

Ironically, I can manually copy "My Documents" directory from C:\ to the NAS drive using Windows Explorer or just drag-and-drop with no errors and lightning speed...

I'm beginning to get the idea that the FAT32 NAS drive is not compatible with doing incremental or synchronization from a NTFS volumn, maybe due to file attribute issues...

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Karl in NY,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

I'd firstly recommend you to download scheduler update in the way it is described in Acronis Help Post. If the issue remains I'd recommend you to run the task manually and check if it completes. This would let us localize the issue. It would be also helpful if you try to perform the same backing up scenario under Acronis Bootable CD and tell us about results.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.