Scheduled Task / Backup Location Bug

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by richard13, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard13

richard13 Registered Member

I set up a backup job in Scheduled Tasks (6 diffs in between each full backup). The theory being that once a week I get a full backup, and a differential each day. I set my Backup Location to limit it to 8 files.

The problem is that after the initial full backup (no backups in backup location yet) sometimes TI 10 will create only 3 diffs or maybe 5 diffs before doing a full backup again. This seems to be based on where the backup job was in the past. Deleting all the .tib files doesn't reset this either.

The only way I've found to resolve this is to let the backup job play itself out into a 2nd round of backups and ignore the errant diff count on the first round.

This is a bug that should be fixed. I've spent a bit of time and hair pulling over the past couple weeks not understanding why TI was ignoring my Scheduled Task differential parameters and Backup Location limits.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Do you have any other limits set in the configuration for the backup location? Date, size?

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Here is a link to a guide that may help https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172470#13.

4. richard13

richard13 Registered Member

No, I don't have any other limits checked off, just the maximum backups which is 8.

Yes, I have read that post by Cat and found it very informative but this is really a different problem.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal because the data is getting backed up and the backup limit is being obeyed but it is rather annoying to not have an easy way of setting what day your full backup will be performed (using my week long schedule of 1 full then 6 diffs). The only way I can think of is to wait until the day you want to be your full backup day, run all the way through the 2nd round of backups (manually running backups over and over), deleting them all once that's done and then letting your backup job run as scheduled. For instance, when it is out of sync, the files will look like this:

001F <- Full
    001F2
    001F3
    001F4
    001F5
    001F6 <- Notice I didn't get 6 diffs as the scheduled task is set to
    002F <- Full
    002F2
    002F3
    002F4
    002F5
    002F6
    002F7 <- Ahh... finally I get 6 diffs but now my full backup is +1 days from schedule

If I delete all the files right after 002F7 is created, my next set of backups will be in sync and give me 6 diffs as it should.

Oddly enough, if I let it run short, like this:

001F <- Full
    001F2
    001F3
    001F4
    001F5
    001F6
    002F <- Full
    002F2
    002F3

And then delete them all, I get this on the next set of backups:

001F <- Full
    001F2
    001F3
    001F4
    002F <- Full

Obviously, some file/registry key/etc. is errantly keeping track of the diffs and shouldn't be as it serves no purpose other than to perpetuate unexpected results. I hope someone at Acronis is reading these forums and paying attention here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.