Scheduled Start Up Scan Question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Graystoke, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Running ESS 4.0.437.0 on XP/SP3. In Scheduler, there are two start up scanners checked. Both titled Automatic Startup File Check. One launches at boot up, the other I believe after an virus update. The one that launches at boot up, I'm sure is the one that causes the ESS icon in the taskbar to spin. It seems to cause a delay in my browser, Firefox, open directly after startup or reboots. I'm thinking of disabling this one, maybe both. Is it safe to do so?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No, it's not safe. The startup scanner provides an additional layer of protection. Startup scans are run with as low priority as possible so basicly you should barely notice them running (except the spinning icon). Anyways, you can try disabling the two tasks for testing purposes.

3. Graystoke

Thanks Marcos. I will do some testing just to see if there is any difference. But if disabling the startup scanner lowers my protection level, I will live with the way things are.

4. reevesloh

reevesloh Registered Member

ehh...wanna ask how i should i know my "system startup file" function or not?

5. Graystoke

I'm very new to ESS, but I believe if the ESS icon in the taskbar is spinning, then the system startup file scan is functioning. I'm sure one of the ESS experts will be here shortly to give you the definitive answer.

6. reevesloh

reevesloh Registered Member

Me only see the icon spinning after i on my computer but after a few second it stop...And it continue spinning when i do smart scan.So it is normal?

7. thewiz

thewiz Registered Member

That sounds pretty normal to me. After initial boot into Windows, ESS4 will spin only for a few seconds as it scans startup files etc. After that ESS will sit there quitely monitoring your system, performing real-time scanning without any major notifications.

If you choose to run a manual (or smart) scan - then you'll see the system tray ESS icon spin around. The subtle animation on the ESS icon is a new feature in version 4 (which wasn't present in v3 - as far as I know).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.