Scheduled Scan does not run

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by samfw, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samfw

samfw Registered Member

I have scheduled a scan to run daily but it doesn't run. I have selected the drives for it to scan. I have set the time of day. I get my daily updates and the Ewido icon is showing in my start-up tray. Any advice?

2. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

same problem here ...

have noticed a number of similar earlier threads on this but so far no reply from ewido o_O

is anyone able to schedule scans with 4.0?

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Have you checked the 'if scheduled scan was missed, catch up as soon as possible'?

Attached Files:

4. Joliet Jake

Scheduled scan running...

Attached Files:

5. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

yeah jake ... the first time it failed to do the scheduled scan i opened that page & checked the "if missed .. " thing & it started a scan. i left it checked after that.

however it did not perform the next scheduled scan at 4am the next morning (setup for daily scan).

anyway, thanks for the reply .... any other thoughts?

stew

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Is the Task Scheduler service enabled ?

7. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

hi Bubba,

yes task scheduler is enabled under services.
    spybot is already using task scheduler for it's scheduled scans.

thanks ... please keep the suggestions coming ... i really want to get this resolved

8. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

If i may just add that when using the task Scheduled service in the control panel that you should always use a password for it to run correctly. Also please note that the box should be ticked when using the task Scheduled service (Inside the "Administrative Tools] A "Services" panel will appear. you need to tick the box in logon allow service to interact with desktop

Attached Files:

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just to make sure it's not something with the profile that this scheduled scan problem concerns....how about adding another temporary profile....select Add Memory as far as what to scan to save time for this test and then select a time that is close to your 24 Hr. time plus 15 minutes....since that is the closest incrimate you can get close to your time.

10. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

to Nick: yeah, task shedule looks like that in services panel. strange that when i open scheduled tasks from control panel there is not an ewido task in the list (the spybot one is there) ... could this be the problem?

to Bubba: thanks mate ... will give that a try

appreciate the help ... any other suggestions are welcome

11. NICK ADSL UK

Hi stew :)
    It has to be listed in services if it is to work as directed. I would suggest that you uninstall and try again

Attached Files:

12. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

sorry Nick i didnt explain properly ...
    ewido is listed in services ... however if i open the scheduled tasks window from control panel (to show which tasks are currently scheduled) then there is no entry for an ewido scheduled scan although the spybot scheduled scan shows up there ... does that make more sense? when you setup a schedule in ewido does it show up in this window?

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

ewido's scheduled scans are not scheduled via windows task scheduler and would not show in windows task scheduler. However....the task scheduler service has to be enabled before ewido's scheduler will work properly. Since you have confirmed the task scheduler service is enabled that's all one has to be concerned about and no settings in windows task scheduler have to be manipulated for ewidos scan scheduler to work.

14. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

thanks for that Bubba ... i'll try the suggestion you made earlier about scheduling a simple memory scan.

thanks for all the help so far

15. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

ok .... just set up a simple memory scan to run almost immediately & it ran!
    so then i started thinking, "what's different to when it runs at 4am?"

screensaver & then later (after 20mins) power down monitor ;)

so i set another scan for 5mins time after setting power down monitor to 2 mins ... guess what - NO SCAN!

so i tried it with power down monitor set to 'never' & just the screensaver on ... guess what - SUCCESS! :D

so it seems that the scheduler has a problem on my system if the monitor is powered down ... fyi the computer is not in hibernation & the hard drives have not been shut down, it was just that the monitor was set to shut down after 20mins.

to the guys who have scheduler working on their systems i would be curious to know if you have the monitor power down feature enabled or disabled?

to others who have been having problems with scheduling a scan maybe this will help you out.

thanks again to everyone who had input :)

16. NICK ADSL UK

A pleasure :)

17. Joliet Jake

Where do I switch the monitor to power down?

18. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I try in English:

rightclick somewhere on your desktop
    choose properties
    go to the tab screensaver
    go to energy properties
    you are there to look at/change settings

Gerard

19. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

yeah Jake as gerardwil said display properties>screensaver>power

so originally my monitor was set to switch off after 20mins to save power ... this seemed to stop the scheduled scan from running ... i set this to 'Turn off monitor: Never' & now the schedule seems to work.

will find out in about 5hrs if the original scheduled task (4am) is going to run as planned ... i imagine it will :)

20. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

damn! 4am scheduled scan DID NOT RUN!

the stay resident icon was greyed out when i checked this morning & the scan had not been run ... back to the drawing board :(

21. Joliet Jake

OK, thanks, will try it with my monitor powered down.

Edit: My monitor is set to power down after 20 minutes. I'll set a schedule for a time when the monitors off and see what happens.

22. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

NO JAKE ... you got it the wrong way round mate :) make sure your monitor DOESN'T switch off!
    didn't seem to help much though if you look at my previous post.

the latest is that the full scan that i have scheduled for 4am refuses to run. first morning i checked it and not only had it not run but the resident shield had switched off. this morning i checked and resident shield was on but the scan had still not run!

here's something strange though: the 2 memory scans i had setup on the weekend to test what Bubba had suggested just ran themselves on schedule ... the whacky thing is the check mark next to 'schedule this scan' is not checked for either of them & under the schedule list it says NO!

so the scan i want to run wont ... and the 2 scans i have disabled run!!!

too weird ....

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Then the answer's elementary my dear Watson. Disable the scans you want to run. :D

24. Joliet Jake

Ah, sorry. I'll try that but to be honest you seem to be having a real problem there. Have you uninstalled and reinstalled ewido?
    Does any other software run schedules ok?

25. stew_d

stew_d Registered Member

If only it was that easy ... and you can be sure I tried :D
    As we speak the disabled memory scan is running again at it's (not) scheduled time of 12:15pm. The full scan scheduled for 4am failed to run AGAIN ... although it is turned off :p

I think your right Jake ... will try to reinstall.
    fyi spybot & AVG free both run their daily scans without problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.