Scan stuck at 99%??????

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

My weekly scheduled scan started at 8pm, and usually takes a little over 30 minutes or so. It has been stuck at 99% for about 15-20 minutes. What the hell is that about? Last week it was running 2 scans at the same time, so I uninstalled it and reinsalled it, and that seemed to take care of that problem, but now this staying at 99%. Any ideaso_O

EDIT: It took 54 minutes to complete the scan. It is only scanning 15 gigs of used space and has never taken that long.
    Last week, it scanned 184024 objects, and took 41 minutes. This week it scanned 184743 objects in 54 minutes......does this seem right?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. acillatem

No one has any opinion or advice on thiso_O

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Those seem like reasonable numbers depending on how fast your system is or if you "tweaked" your on demand settings. Large compressed archives (zips, mostly) can slow down the engine because it needs to inflate everything before scanning and if changed your settings enough it may even try to execute installers in a sandbox while scanning them which would slow things down even further. If you want to see what it is scanning, get a copy of filemon http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx and filter it to only show activity from ekrn.exe. Watching that while it scans may give you an idea of where things are getting held up.

4. acillatem

But taking 15 minutes longer than the last version to scan basically the same thing doesn't seem right, don't you think? Nothing has changed much on my comp since the last version. Also, it is using the default settings.....just scanning the C drive on weekly scans.

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Since I don't know how you use your system, I can't give you any definite answers on what may have changed though it is obvious that there are some new files. Compressed archives (if some were saved to the system since the last scan) are CPU and disk intensive to decompress and scan so an added 13-15min isn't outside the realm of possibility, especially since scans run at a background I/O priority any if you were using the system at the time that could slow things down. You may want to check the system log of eventvwr.msc to see if it is reporting delayed read/write failures or bad blocks as there could be disk errors involved.

Filemon will give you a more definitive answer on what is being scanned when and if it is getting held up on something.

6. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

I think the best way to measuring the scanning time between both version, would be to scan a specified folder, not the whole system, because this is always changing and u'll never get the same results. Choose a folder (not a system folder) and scan it with both versions to see if the time it takes to scan them varies that much.

7. acillatem

You know, now I remember I was using the computer that night, and usually don't during the scan.......it just usually does it at a time that I don't need it, so I let it do it's thing, because it slows down whatever I want to do anyway. I'll see what happens tonight when it does it's scheduled scan......I'll let it be, and see how much difference there is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.