Scan Speed ESS beta vs NOD32 v2.x

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by vapor, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vapor

vapor Registered Member

I have about a 5 year old machine with 2.2 gHz processor, 1 Gig ram, and about 500,000 files to scan. I've been interested in NOD32 as a replacement for Trend which I had been using. When I found a beta which included a firewall I was really interested.

So far, everything's running ok, but my scans are very s-l-o-w......

Trend used to scan everything in 1 hr 40 mins. I recently tried eEye's Blink which uses Norman AV and that took 2 hrs 40 mins. ESS is taking 3.5 hours for an in-depth scan.

Part of my interest in Eset was it's reputation for fast scans with NOD32. So far, my experience with ESS has been it's the slowest engine I've tried. I'm interested in hearing whether others with past experience using NOD32 are finding the ESS beta slower.

Thanks!

2. Najmi

Najmi Registered Member

well i did a scan of more than 320000 files and it took abt 45 mins to complete ....

3. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

With my PC it has always taken less time the more scans it has done... Don't know if it's like that for anyone else though...

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As you have found in a previous thread most people are finding the ESS beta faster than NOD 2 in on-demand scanning. IME, I am seeing the same result.
    If you have a lot of JAR files then this will explain the slowdown. Try disabling archives/excluding JAR files and check the speed of the scanner then.

You can then use the "normal" setting for your usual scans and scan occasionally with the in-depth setting. But don't forget that this is a beta-engine so this slow-down may not be apparent/as apparent in the gold version.

5. vapor

vapor Registered Member

Yes, after this post I went in and cleaned out 6 old installs of Java and about 0.5 Gig of junk installed with my HP printer. That dropped the scan times down an hour. BUT, I was still seeing faster scans with other products, so I was wondering why??

6. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Just ran a full in-depth scan with ESS beta 1a and it completed 679,448 files in 35 minutes tested on a 7,200rpm drive. Once I switch over to my 10,000rpm raptor hard drive it should really cruise.

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Number of scanned files: 473683
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 02:07:25 Total scanning time: 3995 sec (01:06:35)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.