Scan result with infection was remembered and does not scan again

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by Chubb, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Senario:

(1) Right click on a folder which contains several files, one of which contains a trojan. In this example, trojan.exe was contained in a file, namely "abc.rar" in the folder, along with some other clean files. Right-click on the folder and choose "Scan with ewido anti-malware". The scan started and the trojan was detected.

(2) Go to that folder that has been scanned, open "abc.rar" with WinRAR and delete trojan.exe from "abc.rar". Now, "abc.rar" was clean and free from trojan.

(3) In Windows Explorer, right-click on that folder again and choose "Scan with ewido anti-malware" to scan the folder again. No scan was started and I was brought to the Report window where the previous infection was shown. I right-click on that folder again and choose "Scan with ewido anti-malware" and see what happens. Again, I was I was brought to the Report window where the previous infection was shown.

Finding: When Ewido scanned a folder, it remembers the scan findings. When you scan the same folder a 2nd time, it DID NOT scan the folder and instead, bring you to the previous scan result in the Report window. During the testing, resident shield was enabled.

I need to go to the folder, right-click on the file "abc.rar" and scan it to get the result to see if the file was clean.

(4) I right-click on a folder with clean files and did a scan. The result showed no infection. I then delete a file from the folder and scan the folder again. This time, the scanner was launched and the number of files scanned one less than the previous result.

Finding: If the folder to be scanned was infected, doing a 2nd scan will not launch the scanner to scan the folder a 2nd time. However, if the folder to be scan was clean, doing a 2nd scan will launch the scanner.

Is it a bug or by design?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  2. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

No that's not correct. What you've reported is neither a bug nor by design this is not really happening :p

If you scan something ewido anti-malware awaits an action after the scan if something was found. Now you start another scan but you didn't applied any actions so ewido is forced to throw away the results of the previous scan and saves a report before (if this option is enabled) and shows it. Then it starts to scan again (you've choosen the same folder without any actions) and after that scan it waits for an user action.

It works correct. I've tried to reproduce your steps but the behaviour is as expected. It doesn't remember any scan results or that it has scanned anything.

You should try to scan a folder with about 1000 files and try to reproduce this. You'll maybe understand what I mean.

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hm... That means, when I tried to start the scan again without taking actions, I was brought to the report screen, and Ewido refuse to start another scan because it is still waiting for my action?

4. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

No, it does not refuse the scan, it will start it but it saves the report (there you can read no action taken) before then starts another scan in the background. You should switch to the Scanner Module to see that it scans.

BR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.