sbie & adobe Reader + flash Player !

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ams963, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

Can Adobe Reader and Flash Player be sandboxed using Sandboxie given that they already have a built-in sandbox like Chrome browser?

Now, Tzuk fortunately solved any compatibility issues between Chrome built-in sandbox and Sandboxie allowing us to reap the benefits of a double sanbox protection. But what about sandboxing Adobe Reader and Flash Player?

Best Wishes,
    ams963

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Adobe Reader - Yes
    Flash - automatically sandboxed as part of the browser. So, yes.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you are browsing with Firefox using a default setting sandbox, PDF files and Plugin container will be sandboxed automatically.

If you want to use a restricted sandbox where only the browser, the PDF reader and Plugin container are allowed to run, then under Start/Run restrictions allow Plugin container in addition to Firefox. If your PDF reader opens within the browser, you dont have to do nothing about it but if you open it outside the browser, like I do, allow it to run. I use Foxit but I guess this works the same with Adobe Reader.

Bo

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If the pdf reader is forced to open in the sandbox every time it opens will it be able to update? Or does a person have to remove the pdf reader from being forced sandboxed to update?

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah! Thank you.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thank you for the details. I now understand. Just one question. If I allow plugin container under Start/Run in addition to Firefox, then do I not have to also allow plugin container under Internet Access in addition to Firefox?

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I don't allow Plugin container access to the Internet but most people do. I rarely use Flash on any other site other than Youtube and its not needed there to watch videos. On some sites, you do need to allow Internet to plugin container in order to watch the videos. Whenever thats the case, I just open Firefox on another (unrestricted) sandbox.
    No, the update wont stay if its done sandboxed. You can disable forced programs for a few minutes to do the update.

Bo

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Forgive me for my ignorance :D

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay I'll also follow what you do. Thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.