sbc yahoo suite..or..mcafee 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by freshsta42, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freshsta42

freshsta42 Registered Member

i have sbc yahoo dsl and it recently gave me a viruse protection program but in order to install it you must uninstall mcafee 2005 security...i was wondering which one would be better...thanks for any help

2. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i too have the sbc yahoo! dsl service. i like it, had it for 3 years and never had any problems. now, having said that........the sbc yahoo! dsl comes packaged with so much extra crap, that i completely got rid of all of it all when i learned that none of it was needed or necessary. (the browser, the connection manager, yahoo mesenger, etc.)

one thing i don't like and can't stand about sbc yahoo! dsl, (and it's probably just me), is that sbc yahoo! offers all this free protection along with their service. which is great, but everything they offer is free to everyone else as well, or it's substandard compared to other free programs. for example: right now they're offering free pop-up protection, as well as free anti-spyware protection. but anybody can get this (which is the exact same thing) for free at cnet. they also offer a free firewall, which is nothing more than zone alarm free.

anyways, the antivirus sbc offers in my neck of the woods (bay area, ca) is run by computer associates. it is good, but if you already have a paid version of mcafee, i wouldn't switch. and i would also consider other free alernatives, which i think are much better: avast and avg.

hope this makes sense, i'm in a hurry!

3. freshsta42

freshsta42 Registered Member

thank you for the help...i think i will just stick with mcafee...thanks again :D

4. seamaiden

seamaiden Registered Member

For more information about SBC Yahoo! Online Protection and what it could potentially install on your system or do to your system, see here.

Though SBC Yahoo! DSL is my ISP, my Internet access is just fine without installing any of their stuff. SBC should have kept things the way they were last year, by allowing customers to get the stand-alone version of eTrust EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates. No, they had to go and integrate EZ Antivirus into a proprietary suite of junk. It's not worth it to install SBC YOP just to get EZ Antivirus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.