SB V3.4 - IE protection disabled

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by pchong, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pchong

pchong Registered Member

This is my first go at posting......

I have used SB for 2 years and have been updating/upgrading as they became available. Recently, I was a little worried when on booting up and at times when I open SB discovered that unknown to me, 1,494 IE protection were disabled out of my database of 4,806 items.

I have a P3 288MHZ Desktop, 512Mb RAM running Win98SE. Besides SB I also have running in the background SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, AV Free, Zone Alarm Personal and WinPatrol. I manually run Spybot S&D, Ad-aware SE Personal, a-squared and JV16 PowerTool.

Am I exposed and vulnerable or just having double error reporting due to too many programs running at the same time? I had NIS 2005 but it slowed the system almost down to a standstill and I removed it, using only Ghost and Speed Disk for my image backup.

At the moment, I just enable all each time I see any disabling and close SB. Is this advisable?

pchong

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As far as those 1,494 items....is it a combination of Activex, Restricted Sites and Cookie protection ?

In regards to Spybot....are you using it's Immunization feature ?
    If so....be advised that anytime you disable Spybot's Immunization....you in effect are removing some of Spywareblasters protection due to the nature of how those 2 programs overlap. Some entries contained in Spybot's database are also contained in Spywareblasters database.

Also....my numbers are somewhat different since I am Win2000 but if I disable Spybot's Immunization....it then disables 1,552 items contained in Spywareblaster.

3. pchong

pchong Registered Member

Thanks Bubba. You more or less confirmed that running those two programs have given me a false error report but am in fact protected.

It is however strange that on reboot, this false report is made although Spybot S&D does not launch at bootup. Perhaps it is the Immunise that is keeping watch over the system all the time.

Interestingly, in spite of all the protection running in the background, I picked up the latest update from a-squared last night and on running a scan, it found 2 Malware. They were tracking cookies. I removed them and this morning found a stranger on my screen - Paltalk. Without thinking, I deleted it from my screen. Later, used JV16 PowerTools in files to find paltalk*.* but there was nothing found. I do not run P2P or have VoIP.

Thanks for your kind reassurance, Bubba

Pchong

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are more than Welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.