Save my Heat!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Argent, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argent

Argent Registered Member

Can someone suggest a good Anti-Vir program that will display a list of "infections" it finds *before* deleting them, thus permitting selective erasures? Case in point - I have a "virus" that is actually a harmless (if terrifying) prank ("Heat") that appears to "melt" the screen. I've had it for years and fortunately have always kept it backed up, otherwise it would be long exterminated and I don't think it's around much anymore. Both Avira and Trend Micro simply wipe it when they find it - a desirable feature for an anti-virus program, maybe, but not in this instance. Or possibly there's a setting option I should be looking for and am missing? Thanks for any help.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

you are not right about Trend Micro because if you want the program to notify you and just wait upon your decision you can tweak it and there you are.I think AVG does that and many others so why in such a mistrusto_O? o_O o_O

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

You can set Dr.Web to "report" all infections. Then after the scan is complete you can select delete, move, etc on each file it finds.

4. Niels

Niels Registered Member

So far that I know almost any antivirus you can configure what actions that should be taken on infection both for the on-access as for the on-demand scanner. Normally you should set it on prompt or no action. What you also can do is exclude that "harmless" file.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

with avira i just set the decisions to interactive, then you make the choice to delete, quarantine, ignore, etc.

6. Argent

Argent Registered Member

I feel a bit stupid not to have done a closer study of the settings. The solution just wasn't apparent to me before I posted my question. Thank you, everyone.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok,

but for queries-sake, drweb, you can set it to do whatever you wish, you can choose what you want it to do for a particular type of infection, ie. Hacktool - Quarantine, Spyware - Report etc etc

also, the exclusions can be added to any file you dont wish it to find, either in real-time protection or scanner, or niether... the choice is yours.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

You can also zip the file and password protect it. Then it shouldn't be detected but be sure to remember your password. I have a couple samples and keep them in a file labeled 'Danger_ Malware_Samples' and put my actual zipped malware files in it with the password 'infected'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.