SAS, and A-Squared ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Am thinking I may have a bit too much overlap with above 2 apps, and thought I may remove A-Squared; the latter has got a bit too cutesy poo for me as of late, blocking some web pages via safe surfing defaults; it's annoying to turn off with "clever" Turing test of slanted hard to read letters and nos. (even with my glasses on) and it also seems to turn up mostly FPs and I think I've read in the forums that they aren't always often or quickly corrected. And after one turns it off, it (and NOD32) both still have one or more processes running. Be nice if one could turn off an app, and actually have it off.

Having said that I do give A-Squared credit for updates, and it seems that they rewrite the program/modules several times a week so there is that, in their favor.

But still I wonder: is there any profound merit to one app vs the other, or are they doing about the same job overall?

* And speaking of software... gotta' love the apps when you install them, advising you to shut off everything AND THEN the installer wants to get on the 'net (during install for updates). Duh. This makes sense, in an alternate universe?

Thanks for help/opinions,

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

You could just run one as an occasional scanner. I currently have KAV and TrojanHunter as upfront protection and SAS, MBAM, A2 and several other scanners on my machine but only ondemand. A2 does run a resident in the background even as a scanner.

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The same thing I do too.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, my experiences:

SAS pro with real time on :
    pro: light, fewer F.P. detection/removal --excellent
    con : not seen any action by its real time guard yet.

A -squared paid version with background guard on :
    pro: more visible actions performed by its real time guard; amazing
    updates. detection/removal--good to excellent.
    con: heavy on memory usage. more frequent F.P.

Both are excellent tools. I have used both with real time guard on together for 2 weeks, no issues, except sucking up too much memory.

Choice is yours. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.