Sandboxie -- Who has stopped using it and why?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Frank the Perv, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

For me, if I right click on chromium, then choose the sandbox to open it in, it takes about 2 seconds for the process to start. Without opening in a sandbox almost instant.

Sul.

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hi Bo,

I decided to try the above method, but I don't see how that tells SBIE to pass all IE downloads to my partition/folder of choice. o_O

TS

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hey TS, follow the instructions and you ll be able to do what you want. Download files without having to recover.:cool:

Defaultbox>Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>Direct access>Add the folder or drive that you want to allow File access. Click apply and OK.

Bo

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

The force start doesn't add protection though, just convenience. And it can actually be considered an inconvenience... since when you want to update a program you have to do it outside of the sandbox.

I have the paid version, and I personally don't even use the force start. I do enjoy being able to use multiple sandboxes simultaneously though. To me that's the real benefit of paid. For instance right now I have Firefox & Pidgin Messenger running sandboxed. But if you're not much of a multi-tasker, and only do 1 thing at at time (browse), then the free version is just as good as the paid for you.

5. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Ok Bo, I'll try that again... :oops:

TS

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I actually stopped using it on my new machine after moving to Google Chrome. The days of drive-by's are almost over, especially on Chrome (hardest to hack browser).
    I don't run suspicious downloads inside sandboxes, but instead upload it to VirusTotal, Comodo File Verdict Service, and Anubis. Then, if still suspicious, I e-mail it to AV vendors (X-Ray by Raymond.cc helps), and run it within a virtual machine. I have all the usual website blacklists (DNS, add-ons, AV/IP, etc.), and the same mindset as before. Even ScriptNo is used, albeit only Block Unwanted Content and Run Plug-ins On-Demand.

The reason for dropping Sandboxie and whitelisting (except limited account's Parental Controls) is because of lack of time, and only Windows 7 Home Premium on new Laptop. EMET and disk imaging are still used, along with the all-encompassing Avast and it's supporters. Also, no more of the annoying third-party Firewalls/HIPS. Oh, and UAC is left untouched. I know how to work with it nowadays (even used to sudo), and most (startup) applications bypass using drivers, services, task scheduler, SYSTEM, etc.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.