Sandboxie vs Multiple Browsers

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TomAZ, Sep 30, 2014.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I'm currently running my default browser under Sandboxie. How do I configure Sandboxie to be able to run other installed browsers as well?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved Thread to This Forum for More Exposure.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

One easy way to run the rest of your browsers (or any other program or file) under Sandboxie is to right click their icon and Click Run sandboxed. If you are using only one sandbox, the DefaultBox, all of your programs run in that sandbox.

Isolation works better when you separate programs from each other. If you like to do that, you can create new sandboxes for each of your browsers and set each sandbox according to the browser.

Sandboxie control>Sandbox>Create new sandbox

In the free version, to make things easier to run programs in their own sandbox, you can create sandboxed shortcut icons.

Sandboxie control>Configure>Windows shell integration, Click Add shortcut icons, Select the new sandbox that you created for your second favorite browser, find the program in one of the menus, Click it. After the click, you ll find the sandboxed shortcut in your desktop.

I think the free version works great, specially if you make use of features like the ones I described above, but to run programs in more than one sandbox at a time and to force programs and files to run sandboxed automatically, you got to get a license.

Bo

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

What you may also be able to take advantage of with this approach with multiple browsers, is to have different policies for clearing the sandbox for each browser, depending on your purpose. For some activities, clearing the box every time is just what you want, other things benefit from more persistence.

5. meatouph

meatouph Guest

I prefer using shortcuts
    Target:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:DefaultBox "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" 
    Start in:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie"
    (this line is always the same)
    Target:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:DefaultBox "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
    Target:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:DefaultBox "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
    You can replace DefaultBox with sandbox name

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.