Sandboxie Video Request

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheMozart, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Hey everyone, I been using Bufferzone PRO and I really like how I can do the following:

1. Run Opera and Firefox in a sandbox.

2. Isolate and protect an entire folder that contains sensitive and private data. In Bufferzone it's called "Confidential Files".

3. Install programs, test them, and not worry they will mess up my Windows 7 registry etc. And if I want to keep the program I simply move it out of the Bufferzone. And if its a messy program or I dont want it, I simply empty the Bufferzone.

Now my concern with Bufferzone is that it's never worked on or updated anymore and many people have told me I am better to go with Sandboxie because it's continuously being worked on.

But here is the thing...can Sandboxie FREE version do everything above that Bufferzone can? If yes, can someone please create a video and upload to youtube and show how it can be done.

I can't even get portableapps firefox to load in the Sandboxie, do I need to pay MONEY for that ability? How can I click on firefox icon and have it load automatically in a Sandbox?

Cheers. :) :thumb:

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Create a sandboxed shortcut for Firefox and place it on your desktop. Read "Add Shortcut Icons".

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ConfigureMenu#shell

Since you are using the free version, if you like to be able to use a sandboxed FF at the same time than a sandboxed IE, select the default sandbox when you are creating the shortcut. If you like to have better isolation, create a new sandbox and use that one for FF but remember, in the free version, you can only use one sandbox at any time.

Bo

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Thank you Bo for your reply, but why when I created a SB shortcut, a folder was created on my Desktop called "[DefaultBox] Desktop"? And when I created the shortcuts and dragged to the bottom W7 toolbar, and then click on the shortcuts I get an error:

"Sandboxie Start...System Error Code, the System cannot find the file specified.(2)"

And can I install and test new software in the Sandbox and have it NOT add anything to my proper windows files directory and W7 registry?

4. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I don't think you have done that correctly.
    Open S.B interface > configure > windows shell integration > add shortcut icons > ( choose which sandbox, if you have several ) then programs and scroll down to mozilla firefox

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I did it correctly, but I figured out something.... once you create the desktop shortcut and drag it to the bottom W7 toolbar, you must KEEP the original shortcut on the Desktop as well, because if you remove the desktop shortcut, then when you click the icon in bottom W7 toolbar, it gives that error I mentioned in the other post.

Why is that? Why do I need the original shortcut on the Desktop, seeing I already dragged a copy to the W7 toolbar?:blink:

6. mick92z

I just created a firefox shortcut, dragged it to to W7 taskbar, deleted the desktop original, now the taskbar icon still opens firefox. Did you mean ' taskbar ' ?

7. bullmose

bullmose Registered Member

-http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics-
    read over all these topics carefully as it has what you are asking for. I have been reading some other threads and see you have issues with sb so reading over this slowly and testing you will hopefully under stand sandboxie a bit better.

also if you have a 64bit OS
    -http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?NotesAbout64BitEdition-

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

The bar at bottom of W7, next to the START button. You did it different way to me. I created desktop shortcut, then dragged that shortcut to taskbar next to START BUTTON, then deleted the original desktop shortcut, and firefox won't start and gives that error message I mentioned. Do EXACTLY like I did it and you will see, it won't work! But the question is WHY NOT?

Why do I get the message "Sandboxie Start...System Error Code, the System cannot find the file specified.(2)"?

But as soon as I have the shortcut on the desktop, then clicking on the shortcut in the bottom taskbar, next to START BUTTON, then it works again.

Can anyone explain WHY? So the shortcut in the taskbar must obviously point to the shortcut on the Desktop and not to the original program location. But WHY?

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I learn better through VISUAL. Do you know of any videos that explains Sandboxie and all it's features?

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I want to test programs in the sandboxie, but it wont work.

I choose "Run Any Program", scroll to the .exe file and it begins to install, but then it stops with this error message:

"Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\Program Files\Mythicsoft". Error 5: Access is denied"

Why does that happen and how can I fix it?

11. bullmose

if you looked at the 64bit notes you would see why it keeps saying access denied also in the first link i provided it leads you to the most common sb error codes, i know some people learn better by watching it happen but if you read over the links i provided you will see it gives you the answers to your questions. as far as the icons go i followed what you did and did not have the problem. i installed opera inside a test sandbox then created a softlink on my desktop dragged and right clicked to put it in the windows task area (not the tray) and it worked fine with the icon on the desktop and with it being deleted. i could not do with firefox as i have it installed outisde of sb.

ps as for the videos i did some searching but seen only the basics of sb being used like in the getting started tut. if you want the more advanced features read over those pages and try to test it as u read.

12. mick92z

Have you got drop rights enabled ? S.B settings > restrictions > drop rights. If so uncheck it

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I dont think you did it EXACTLY as I did it.

Thanks anyway :cautious:

And what is the exact link for the error 5? I can't find it on any of the links you gave.

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It happens when drop rights is NOT selected as well. So still I cannot install anything. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the vid:) That's weird, because if I delete the desktop icon, the tasbar icon gives me an error message. Strange things are happening with SBIE for me:p

How can I create a video like you did so I can show you?

15. mick92z

I cannot seem to post a live link to the video
    To post a video you will need a capturing program then post it to youtube, its too much hassle

16. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Anyone know how to fix the Error 5: Access is denied error?

I install programs normally, no problems, but when I try to install a program through SBIE, it says: "Error 5: Access is denied"

Why is SBIE not allowing me write access to its OWN SANDBOX?o_O

But browsing with Firefox, IE or Opera in Sandbox works fine!

Anyone have any clues what's going on?

17. bullmose

18. bo elam

@Mozart, your desktop shortcut for Firefox and installing program sandboxed should work fine in your computer. When installing programs you need to disable Drop Rights.

Since it is not, for testing purpose, create a new sandbox and using default settings try to install the program that you want to install sandboxed in the new sandbox and also, do the shortcut thing for Firefox choosing to use the newly created sandbox. Don't change any setting other than disabling Drop Rights.

Bo

19. mick92z

Depends what you are trying to install.Try installing something simple. Sandboxie by default stops programs installing drivers.
    Also some trials will not install, to stop people constantly reusing the trial.
    Have you tried installing anything else ?

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I figured out why my shortcut on toolbar fails to load and give the error:

"Sandboxie Start...System Error Code, the System cannot find the file specified.(2)"

It's because the Firefox and Opera programs I want to run in Sandboxie, do NOT appear in the listing when I chose "Add Shortcut Icons", because Firefox and Opera programs are located as portableapps on my J: drive, and Sandboxie won't allow me to BROWSE to them.

So I had to right click on them and create a desktop shortcut, and then select those Desktop shortcuts from SBIE, and then when I drag the newly created SBIE shortcuts to the taskbar, and delete the original desktop shortcuts, the taskbar icon fails to work because it's pointing back to the original desktop shortcut which is now missing, and hence, it gives the ""Sandboxie Start...System Error Code, the System cannot find the file specified.(2)" error message.

So my question is.... when I chose "Add Shortcut Icons" in SBIE, is there a way to BROWSE to my J: drive and select the portableapps firefox and opera .exe files?

21. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

For some reason SBIE broke, and when I right clicked on an .exe file Sandboxie didn't appear, so I had to remove SBIE and reinstall which fixed it.

But once I installed a program into SBIE to evaluate it, how do I find it? How do I run it? Where does it appear? :blink:

22. bo elam

If you want to install a program sandboxed and keep it, do the following. Make sure the sandbox where you are going to install the program it is set not to delete on closing. Do that by navigating to Sandbox Settings>Delete>Delete invocation and choose "Never Remove this sandbox or delete its contents".

After you install the program, create a shortcut as it has been explained and pick the program from the program list. The program that you installed sandboxed should show up on that list.

There are other ways to create the shortcut but this is an easy way of doing it.

If you don't want to use a shortcut, you can run the sandboxed program by clicking on Start>All program>Sandboxie>Sandboxie start menu. Afterward select the sandbox where you installed the program and select the sandboxed program from the program list.

Bo

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ok thank you Bo :thumb:

Once I installed and run a program inside SBIE, can that program read programs or files outside of the SBIE, on different partitions and inside folders outside of the SBIE? If yes then how can I stop anything inside the SBIE from accessing other parts of my hard drive?

24. bullmose

with that you would have to set up restrictions say you dont want sbie to access 2nd internal drive you would have to go to the sandbox settings-resource access-blocked access and set for example F:/ as blocked. Sent you a pm if you would like a detailed look at how this is done.

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yes please, message me, thanks.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.