Sandboxie- The Right Way?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by merisi, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I've been using Sandboxie for a couple of years and think it's a great program but I often read on the forum that it is a secure program when configured the right way. Could someone please tell me what the right way is to configure Sandboxie? I currently have it on default settings with it set to auto delete on closing and drop rights. I also have indivdual sandboxes for different applications. What else do I need to do?

Edit: I also wanted to add that I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and the paid version of Sandboxie. My security set up is Avast, Privatefirewall, Ad Muncher and EMET.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. guest

guest Guest

Limiting start/run and internet access only to certain programs (whitelisting) would boost the security. Also, only access to bookmarks/history database (for Firefox) or bookmarks only (for Chrome) would help a lot too. And if you're using the paid version, forced run your security critical programs sandboxed. :)

3. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by critical security programs. Could you clarify this for me as I'm not sure if you're saying that my AV should be sandboxed.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Merisi, I believe Sandboxies default setting sandbox is great as it is, it has work well for you for two years, it is well balanced (safety/convenience) and you really dont have to change anything but you can tailor each of the sandboxes that you are using now depending on the program or purpose that you made the sandbox for. I ll give you one example on how I use Sandboxie to separate programs from each other and the rest of the system. On my Foxit sandbox, only Foxit is allowed to run and all programs are forbidden to connect. The only time that Foxit connects to the net is when is time to update the program and whenever I run a PDF file, it always run in its own sandbox. When I am browsing, I open PDF files either in my Foxit sandbox or out of the browser in the Firefox sandbox. In general, when I am setting up a sandbox, I always try to allow as little as possible without loosing any usability or convenience.

Bo

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  5. bo elam

Antiviruses or other security programs should always be installed in your system, never in a sandbox.

Bo

6. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Bo, it had never occured to me to use Sandboxie in the way that you suggested with FoxIt. I wonder if it possible to use Firefox's plugin container in the same way? Saying that in my Firefox sandbox only Firefox and plug in container have start and internet access. It's pretty much the same with my browsers that only the essential parts that have to launch are given access to the sandbox. Saying that I can't help feel that the two years of good service from Sandboxie can't be ignored as you have said yourself it's default is pretty good. I guess what has got me baffled is the number of times I've read that Sbie is only safe when configured correctly. The only problems I've heard about in Sbie are viruses existing in an undeleted sanbox or letting bad downloads through.

As for sandboxing my av or anything else, it's not something I would have done.

7. bo elam

You don't even have to allow Plugin container to connect. Sites like Youtube don't require Plugin container to connect. In my everyday Firefox sandbox, I don't allow the container to connect but I have a second Firefox sandbox for sites that do require the container to connect in order to be able to watch videos.
    The default settings sandbox is a real beauty as it is very safe and convenient, It can be used as it comes when we first install the program only changing it to delete on closing and save bookmarks. Your case is a good example that the default settings sandbox works well.

Bo

8. guest

guest Guest

I meant programs like web browsers, PDF viewers, media players, word, and any other programs that could usually be the entrance that are targeted by malware authors. :)

9. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Okay, that's cool. Thanks for the clarification :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.