Sandboxie technical tests and other technical topics discussion thread

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by MrBrian, Oct 17, 2014.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thats exactly what you get when you run Windows explorer sandboxed. So, when you run one, the explorer tree looks exactly the same as unsandboxed and you can use it to do the same things that you do with the real one. The difference is that it is like a copy of the real explorer. Thats the beauty about it. Any change that you make using one, it don't happen in the real one.

In the example in post 385, I clicked on a shortcut for the sandboxed explorer that I have in my taskbar, the explorer tree opens up looking like the real one, then I clicked on Desktop, when Desktop opens up, it shows files, exes, folders, shortcuts, anything that I have in there, anything that I click, it runs sandboxed. In the example on post 385, I clicked on a PDF that ran sandboxed using Foxit portable (my PDF reader).

You can use the sandboxed explorer in many many ways. One of the things that I like using one is to test making changes to the system and see what happens. Let me give you an example. The first time that I disabled Protected mode in Flash, I did it using a sandboxed explorer. After disabling PM, I ran Firefox in the same sandbox to see the effect of doing so, afterward, I deleted the sandbox and went ahead and did it for real using the real explorer.

Bo

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Ouch. A little while ago, I deleted my beginner questions about explorer because I decided they just don't belong in this high-level thread.
    But I was too late since you already took time to answer. Thank you!
    I think I get the drift. And need to continue reading the Sandboxie site where I already see I may have an issue with my printer and snagit.

3. bo elam

You shouldnt deleted most of your post, the questions you have in mind are good questions. I only quoted a few words from your post because I had the feeling that if I did that, you ll get the drift:cool:.

About your printer and Snagit, even if you read a post about someone with a similar printer as yours having problems using it with Sandboxie that doesn't necessarily mean that yours wont work. I have used 2 printers with Sandboxie and never had to do anything special. They just work the same sandboxed as unsandboxed. Different brands. And Snagit, got it try it. I never have but is easy to check if it works sandboxed.

Bo

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations,

Questions, please!

> Are there any conflict with Windows 8.1 latest updates?
    > Are there any conflict with Dr. Web Security Space?

> Are there any conflict with Malwarebtyes Anti-malware?
    > Are there any conflict with Adguard?

> Are there any conflict with Adobe Reader XI?
    > Are there any conflict with Mozilla Firefox latest edition.

> Are there any conflict with adwcleaner?
    > Are there any conflict with Cryptoprevent?

> Are there any conflict with privacy eraser?
    > Are there any conflict with argent Utilities?

A simple yes or no to the right hand side of here questions.
    Will be more than enough of an answer.

Kind regards,

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I wonder what the reason is why SBIE behaves this way, a bit weird. Like I said before, when I force my desktop, it will force some shortcuts (to apps) and ignore others, depending on which folder these shortcuts point to. Of course none of these folders are "forced folders".

6. bo elam

Thats not a Sandboxie thing but a sandboxing thing. Other sandboxing programs behave similarly with that type of file. But if you are aware about it, its no big deal. Thats why its good to combine the Forced programs and Forced folders features when using Sandboxie. The reason why WMP and Windows photo viewer misbehave out of a Forced folder has to do with those programs being closely related to the system. The easy workaround is to change default programs to open videos and pictures. Using the Forced program feature with WMP takes care of this too.

Bo

7. bo elam

Hi Moose, I ll give you a global answer, it will cover some of your questions. Regarding Firefox, its working great for me under Sandboxie latest version. And I believe that's the case for most users. A couple of weeks ago, a couple of Firefox users reported some kind of Font issue with Firefox. I never experienced it but the fix is now implemented automatically. That change was introduced in beta version 4.15.6.

Windows 8.1 as far as I know, its working great under Sandboxie. Most of the things that are being done in Sandboxie are to make SBIE compatible with W8.1. Beta 4.15.6 introduced a fix for W8.1 computers that had windows update KB3000850. This November update affected using Sandboxie with Office 2013.

I dont believe there are any known issue between Sandboxie and MBAM, the anti malware program, paid or free. Regarding Adobe Reader, just make sure you apply Software compatibility settings when Sandboxie prompts you about it and all ought to be well.

I recommend you get version 4.15.6
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=19837

The rest of the programs you mentioned, I havent read lately about any problems but only by testing Sandboxie in your system, we ll know. And Adware cleaner, I think that's on demand, there should be no issue with SBIE.

Bo

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Apprentice your answer! Tried this morning and all kinds of hookings problems! Not sure what is causing this issues?

Kind regards,

9. Rasheed187

Yes probably but that does not explain the behavior on Win 8 that I described. Like I said, if I force the "real desktop" it will also force some shortcuts, but will ignore others. For example, calc.exe and iconoid64.exe will run sandboxed. But other apps like KeePass and DriverView will run unsandboxed. I will perhaps ask for info on the SBIE forum.

10. bo elam

Hi Rasheed, after reading your post, I installed Keepass under Shadow defender. I tested it in W7, my computer that I am using now. After running the Desktop sandboxed, when I click on the shortcut that Keepass placed in the Desktop, Keepass runs sandboxed.

You can see in the picture, at the top left corner, its says Escritorio (Escritorio means Desktop in Spanish) as well as the traditional Sandboxie pound sign that SBIE shows when you are running an app or a folder sandboxed. In the picture, you can also see Keepass running inside SBIE Control. I can not duplicate what you described.

Sin título - copia.jpg

Bo

11. bo elam

What can I say Moose? I kind of know your Sandboxie....career;). I know you always had problems getting Sandboxie to work properly in your computers. Its unfortunate. My best advice is if you really really want to use SBIE, its probably best if you refresh the PC and start from 0. After refreshing the PC (do one PC at a time), do Windows updates and get rid of whatever trial AV the PC comes with, then install Sandboxie. And then your favorite AV and see what happens.

Hopefully you did try the beta version for which I posted the link, beta 4.15 has fixes for hooking problems like the ones you mentioned in your post. Best regards and good luck.

Bo

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, got what is probably a dumb question, at least for you experts. I have used SB for years, paid version, but only for two things: surfing the Net and opening email. I like to experiment and play with software programs so naturally I often download programs from the Net. These programs go into my Downloads folder (after Recovery from SB) where I then scan them with my various scanners before installing. (If an install goes bad I have four recovery programs to get me back on my feet).

I suddenly realized (after many years, duh!), that I could sandbox my Downloads folder and while the download is still sandboxed, scan it from there. I figured out, I think anyway, how to sandbox my Downloads folder. Sandboxie created an error that allowed me to add Explorer.exe to the Restrictions stuff. Then everything worked. But, how would I now scan the sandboxed Downloads with my scanners? What would I click on? What do I look for?

After many years of using SB, I am just learning to expand this excellent program.

Acadia

13. bo elam

Hi Acadia, If you are now Forcing your downloads folders with the Forced folder feature, you can scan it as you normally do with any other folder. Are you now forcing the Downloads folder? Or using a sandboxed Explorer for navigating to your downloads?

Bo

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, bo elam for the quick reply; if anyone knows the answer I know that it would be you. :) No, I do not currently force anything sandboxed. I ALWAYS surf sandboxed using the Sandboxed Web Browser icon that SB creates on my desktop. I do my email client sandboxed manually (actually, using a macro that I created to do such).

So if I force my Downloads folder to be sandboxed, I can just opposite-click on that folder inside of Explorer, and scan it from there even though my Downloads are sandboxed? Heck, if that is the case, it don't get much easier than this. I need to learn more about this incredible program after so many years, thanks.

Acadia

15. bo elam

If you force your downloads folder, you can scan the folder as you normally do with other folders.

But if you are running Explorer sandboxed and you right click a file or folder with an scanner using the Scan with option, the scanner might or not work. You might get a Sandboxie message 2103 telling you that a driver that tried to load was blocked.

Bo

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  16. Rasheed187

I think it might be related to Windows 8. Not a big deal to me, but to clarify I was also trying to figure out how SBIE can be used by friends and family (non-experts) without becoming confusing or annoying, so that's why I'm checking all these things.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Rasheed

Very simple answer to your question. I have a good friend who was constantly having infection problems. I installed SBIE, and taugh her how to use it. Now she pretty much gets it, but keeps my phone no. handy. No infections since. Doesn't take much of my time.

Pete

18. 142395

142395 Guest

I took this differently, though not sure if I could get what Acadia want.
    If you scan the folder from within sandbox i.e. scanner is also sandboxed, some scanner won't work as it requires driver while the file is only in sandbox so scanning real download folder doesn't make sense.
    If that is you matter, firstly locate where the actual sandboxed download folder is. It usually "C:\Sandbox\username\DefaultBox\username\current\Downloads" but depends on your OS and SBIE config. Note this folder is created only when you use the folder in sandbox, so firstly launch browser sandboxed and download somthing, then launch non-sandboxed explorer to find correct location.
    Once you find correct path, you can scan the folder from outside the sandbox. Just launch your scanner and scan that folder, or if you want you can scan entire sandbox.
    I had scanned in such way in the past before recovering my firefox profile folder, though now not because I have good enough real time scanner.

19. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I just wonder how exactly can someone/anyone get infected in the first place if you don't download files at all?
    I've been asking this for Google Chrome users, who have been infected while they have been surfing the net, without downloading anything?
    However, once they shielded properly configured Sandboxie over Google Chrome, no infections made it through since than; since the moment they put Google Chrome inside tightly configured Sandboxie-can anyone explain this to me, how exactly is this possible in the first place, how exactly is possible to get infected without downloading any kind of files, with just surfing the net?

Did your friend have the same problems, getting infected by simply surfing the web/the net, without downloading any file at allo_O

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  20. Peter2150

click on a link, and website does a drive by download.

21. CoolWebSearch

What linko_O
    And do you see when a website does a drive-by download? Does it even ask you at all so you can at least block it manually; does it even warn you at all in the first place, so you can manually block it by clicking your mouse?

22. Peter2150

Any link. Some folks click on anything. Off course not to all the other questions. Why would a site warn you when it's about to be bad.

23. CoolWebSearch

This is indeed true, and in my friends' computers not even Google Chrome (which was tighten up further, by the way) on Windows 8.1 could not stop the infection from drive-by downloads, yes they click everything, unfortunately, however, after they put Sandboxie over Google Chrome, no drive-by download was able to infect the real system/the real Windows 8.1.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  24. Peter2150

"unfortunately" o_O

25. bo elam

I think CWS meant to say that, unfortunately, his click everywhere friends are not well protected against drive by downloads by Chrome. :D

But they are, once they start using Chrome under SBIE.

I ll add something for new Sandboxie users who might read this. If you recover malware and run it out of the sandbox, you ll get infected if your AV dont cry malware. So, using Sandboxie works but you have to be very careful about what you recover and execute out of the sandbox. If you execute malware out of the sandbox, you get infected.

Pete, like you and CWS, I have stories about friends who don't get infected anymore despite not using Sandboxies paid version, never changing settings, not even knowing what a restricted sandbox is, having their AV disabled or expired when I look at their computer, etc. Sandboxie works even for people who know very little about security as long as they are extremely careful about anything that they install in their computers.That is the key.

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.