Sandboxie Shortcut Creation

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TomAZ, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do I create a desktop shortcut in XP to have IE (which is my non-default browser) run under the supervision of Sandboxie? A step-by-step explanation would be helpful. Thanks.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

If you want to run IE automatically in a sandbox when IE starts, then go to forced programs in a sandbox settings and add iexplorer.exe From then on just click on the normal IE shortcut on desktop and IE will start in the sandbox.

3. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Just to clarify: The feature with forced programs is only available in the paid version of Sandboxie. In the free version the possibility of automatical starting within a sandbox exists only for one browser (your default browser).

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Go to: Configure>Windows Shell Integration>Add shortcut Icon>Select sandbox where you want IE to open sandboxed, choose IE from the Programs list, click OK.

Bo

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Shortcut creation function is severely broken. I've reported them to the Sandboxie author, now i'm waiting to get any response or a program update...

6. bo elam

You must be doing something wrong, the function is working just fine in my XP and W7 32 Bits computers. Follow the instructions.

Bo

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Open Windows Shell Integration and close it with X. Shortcut will be created on desktop (even though it shouldn't). Do it again and click Cancel instead of X. Shortcut will be created again (even though it again shouldn't).

Or try renaming the only sandbox from DefaultBox to anything else and use Windows Shell Integration menu and then try to run the browser. It will throw out an error.

It's broken and i wonder how no one else noticed it before...

8. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

RejZoR is right. The whole window "Shell Integration" seems to have a bug. For example whenever opening and closing again the window (without changing anything inside) Sandboxie is again in the autostart if you removed it from the autostart only via misconfig.exe and not by unchecking the box "When Windows starts". ---> It seems that the program "repeats" some of the options chosen inside the window "Shell Integration" whenever you close it (at least when closing with X).

But for me this bug does not have much importance. ;)

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

You don't need to go through SandBoxie to make these shortcuts. On XP, this works just fine.
    Make a standard desktop shortcut (right click>new>shortcut) for the app you want to run in the sandbox.
    Right click the new shortcut, select properties.
    In "target", in front of the path to the executable, add "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" with the quotes. The default box will be used unless you specify otherwise. If you want to use a different sandbox add /box:boxname after.
    For PaleMoon browser using the default box, the full path would be:
    "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:defaultbox "C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe"
    To start NotePad++ in an alternate sandbox ("noweb" in my case) the full path is
    "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:noweb "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe"
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  10. bo elam

RejZoR, the function is not broken. If you change any of the options in the Windows Shell Integration Window, the change will not stick unless you click OK. If you change any of those options and click cancel or X, the change does not stick. Thats what I am seeing here.

About adding shortcuts. I can create and use shortcuts as it is right now. I don't know why you are having trouble with the function but it is working properly. By the way, if you are creating a shortcut, you can not cancel it after it has been created but it can be cancel before the shortcut is placed on the desktop. Again, that's what I am seeing here.

About the error you are getting. Whats the number? I am not sure about what I am going to say but I believe I read before that is not advisable to either change the name or delete the "DefaultBox". Probably that's why you are getting an error but I don't know.

Bo

11. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

You say " even though it shouldn't " says who ? I think you will find the OK button, is only for the other options , where you need to tick/untick a box. These options are not altered until you click OK.
    The shortcuts are created without clicking ok, I think that is normal, not broken
    I have read on the forum not to rename the default box, it can throw out errors, for example

Attached Files:

• SB.PNG
      SB.PNG
      File size:
      165.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  12. lws

lws Registered Member

I deleted one of my Sandboxie shortcuts, SumatraPDF in firefox on my desktop after which I made a new short cut of Sumatra in Sandboxie to see if works. And, the new shortcut works no problem for me. Just my input here.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

@mick92z
    Sorry but if i click Cancel, it shouldn't make any actions at all...

If you're not suppose to rename the default sandbox, then why give us the option to do so? It's like giving a user a lightsaber and then say you're not suppose to cut your limbs off. If there is option, you'll eventually do it...

14. bo elam

You can rename sandboxes that you create but not the DefaultBox. If I was you, I would create sandboxes for the tests that you like doing and not use the default box for that purpose. Its probably healthier, that way you wont mess up your SBIE installation.

Bo

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, if i click on default one, i can freely rename it. And it works perfectly fine apart from the stuff that i mentioned. I'd call this a broken program. You can't just say don't rename it as a mean to fix this problem. You need to fix dependences, not advise users just not to rename it if clearly there is option to do so.

16. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

FWIW I don't have the problem with creating shortcuts as described, using 3.81.08 beta on XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.