SANDBOXIE HIGH TECH PROTECTION

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by EASTER, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I assume that some other sandboxes like GesWall and DefeneWall etc will not allow the installation of a BHO!

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Netflix's uses internet explorer and windows media player for it's online viewing of movies. Doesn't work in the sandbox. May have to do with DRM issues.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I suppose so. That´s what I´m saying, I think it makes sense to restrict/lock down certain sandboxed processes even more, so that process execution not initiated/approved by the user, is not allowed. I think Haute Secure tries to do this.

Btw, there is some discussion going on about malware that is actually able to recognize if it runs in a sandbox or not, this way it can try to act legit or will refuse to run at all. But I can also see advantages, for example, if a tool won´t run sandboxed, this might be an indication that something is wrong.

And what if SBIE could actually monitor the possible dangerous behavior that a process tries to invoke (just like GeSwall)? Of course it would stay quite when "sandbox aware" malware will run, but your HIPS will not stay quite when the malware runs on your real machine! This way you would immediately know that it´s most likely to be malicious.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I never said that it wasn´t possible, but keep in mind that the driver is installed outside the sandbox, meaning that it can do whatever the hell it wants and Sandboxie can´t protect you against this. So you might want to check your configuration settings. It´s also possible that PD 2008 can function (or at least load) without driver, so perhaps the driver did not actually install?

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

just late,i will check on that tomorow.

6. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I can say only for DefenseWall- yes, untrusted BHO/extension installation is forbidden.

Pete, did you check it with DefenseWall? Do I need check it out by myself for its compatibility?

7. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Perhaps I'm a total noob, but can someone explain what BHO means? :rolleyes:

8. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Browser Helper Object

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

So does anyone know why the sandboxed browser is twice as slow to access? Can I do something to remedy it?

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ilya

No I didn't. I've set up a separate VM machine for Netflix, and I don't mess in it. Problem is they have a DRM key buried in the registry, and if you fool with it, or with the system, to much, it cuts you off and you can't watch online. Happened to me late last year, and it didn't reset until the first of the year. So consequently, I leave well enough alone, hence a separate VM machine, I don't mess with.

Pete

PS Sandboxie would be a problem,even if it did work, as if you deleted the sandbox, the next install would be seen as another machine, and after so many you are cutoff.

12. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

Honestly, it could be any number of things. But as my earlier post suggested, you are not alone. Start with the obvious; see if IE is any different, start FF with no addons and add them back one by one. If you are using FF then disable any addons in IE. Try a quick speed test with other security ware temporarily disabled. Check task manager as to CPU and memory. This is from the first page in Tzuks' new help file;
    But I know from experiance that 'full speed' is dependant on what else is going on with the particular setup.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks MitchE323. I want to stress that the slow down is only when FF is loading. After FF is up, it's fast as ever. I'll see if I can isolate it as you suggested. :)

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I found 2 that work great together with Firefox.;)

15. MitchE323

First check the items posted before (most likely your problem is there) and then take a look at your CPU usage. If it seems high, you might fit the scenerio discussed here; http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2717&start=0 Tzuk has identified an issue that may apply in your case.

16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I find FF 2.0.0.11 loads quite fast, while IE 7 is slow @ ~ 25 seconds. Once open, the browsing speed in both is fast as normal. Either way, I see it as small, inconsequential price to pay for the security Sandboxie provides.

17. MitchE323

I think it is a matter that SandboxIE works better with 'pure code'. Lots of plugins and BHOs written by different authors, lots of security products by different authors, and none of them written with a 'sandbox' in mind, present issues. That's the 'diagnostic' trait I mentioned. Doctor SandboxIE is looking at your MRI and saying ..."hmmm 25 seconds to load IE?". haha

18. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

When you start a browser sandboxed, it's not only loading the browser, but SandboxieRpcSs.exe and SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe. It's also loading everything it's needs in order to run the browser isolated. Also, in my case, I have the Sandboxie service disabled and it also has to start manually. I was hoping someone else would answer the question, so that's my attempt at an answer. If it's not right, someone correct me.

innerpeace

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My thought also. I would like to speed up start up just the same if I can.:)

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As Tzuk says in the thread, we might have to wait for the next version for a fix. No big deal. Thanks again.:)

21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Same here, though maybe in time the developer will fix this. Time will tell but in its present state it's a keeper for me.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I start the sandboxed FF with the desktop icon when I want to use it. Is that what you mean by manually?

23. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Yes I use an icon, but I don't have Control start at Windows boot. I like too keep a lean booting Windows. The setting is in the Sandboxie Control - Configure - Shell Integration - Start Sandboxie Control. The trade-off however is that Sandboxie probably starts up slower. I've never timed it though.

Edit: I'm not recommending changing the setting, I do it to have less things starting up at Windows boot.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Odd results and very different then my own. IE loads as always with only excption is that i am approached with the IE not sandboxed prompt i set for myself on purpose. Other than that, IE loads excellent, IE6 btw, don't care for IE7 at all.

Perhaps FF is the browser that has those hesitations, i dunno, i don;t need it nor use it. Opera is my other alternative internet source and it also runs fine.

I certainly do allow SandboxIE control to start with windows and for good reason i might add.

With IE theres never been a hint at all of CPU elevation so thats irrelevant for those users.

Right now on this latest config of mine i also impliment AE + Deep Freeze as well as EQS, so the confidence and safety of surfing even dogged up sites is of no effect period.

In fact i think i've armored this particular set up recently with as perfect enough balance against any type of risks that might be laying in wait whereever.

If i need to download i just plug in my USB pen drive and transfer them over there.

VMware is a complete waste for me, i go straight in the rabid dog's bin and emerge without so much as a scratch, so whats the need for it? They are not quite as dangerous as many make then out to be IMO.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's my exact same set up too. I like it that way. I guess it can take credit for a lot of the slow start then. I checked the CPU usage during start of FF and it's about 25%. I uninstalled FF add on extensions one at a time and saw no difference in load up time. I guess that's just the way it is. No big deal. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.