Sandboxie help

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by harshisthere, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harshisthere

harshisthere Registered Member

Is it safe to allow plugin container, flash and java.exe in sandboxie internet restrictions because some websites are not playing flash videos if I do not allow plugin container and flash internet access and java.exe necessary to run some java applications.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Let me answer this way. I allow them and have no issues as far as being safe is concerned.

Pete

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I'm always surprised to see posts from people who say they block plugin container without any issues. I know for a fact some Flash sites don't display full content when it is fully blocked.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

In my regular Firefox sandbox, I don't allow Plugin container/Flash to have Internet access as I usually only use Flash in Youtube and YT don't require Flash to connect in order for the videos to play. I have a second Firefox sandbox for sites that require the container to have access to the internet. But harshisthere, as Pete, I have never had any kind of issue because I have used the sandbox where I allow Flash to have internet access or whenever I have used a sandbox where all programs are allowed to run and connect.:) Sandboxie works well, restricted or not, that's my experience.

Bo

5. harshisthere

I was concerned about security issues. I wanted to know that if allowing them will affect security of my information in anyway.

6. bo elam

In my opinion, the lesser amount of plugins and extensions that we use, the safer our personal information remains. If one of your addons gets hijacked, it can use Firefox to send information out. Thats why I prefer to install only a few extensions and the only plugin that I use, Flash, gets blocked globally by NoScript and its rarely used anywhere but Youtube. Personally, I try to allow as little as possible without losing any convenience. I set my sandboxes as tight as possible but I feel very comfortable using all of them.

In case you didnt know, you can protect your personal files and folders by blocking programs running in the sandbox from having access to them:

Resource access>File access>Blocked access.

Bo

7. harshisthere

Yes I am already using that feature. Also I have set C:\windows as read-only.

8. bo elam

Its a good feature, you can test it. For example, trying to upload to Virus total a blocked file, will fail to upload or trying to attach a blocked file as an attachment in an email, it wont happen neither.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.