Sandboxie and VMware

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by kjdemuth, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's a good idea, don't know why I haven't thought of it before.

Which applications would you add? I've added hqtray.exe, vmnat.exe, VMnetDHCP.exe, vmplayer.exe, vmware-authd.exe, and vmware-usbarbitrator.exe.

2. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

Agreed. SteveTX is a proven liar/fraud. If he hasn't been banned already, he should be.

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I added all exe's in the main VMware player folder in program files, and vmware-vmx.exe from the x64 subfolder, all still seems to be working fine so far :D

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Malware CAN break out of a VM. But it has to be designed to do so. Honestly, don't worry about it. Designing malware to do that is a huge waste of time for developers because it will not effect 99.99% of the people they're trying to infect.

Sandboxing it would help... I doubt there is any malware designed to break out of vm's AND subsequent sandboxing. But you're just throwing protection where you don't need it.

You know how hard it is to get a virus with just the most basic level of security? If you have an antivirus, which is a really weak level of protection, you're probably fine. VM's are hugely unnecessary and use tons of resources for gains that you won't see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.