Sandboxie and Returnil

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by jpcummins, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

My 10 year old grandson loves to play online computer games. I allowed him internet access to his games with Sandboxie running. After some time I went to close out the sandboxed browser but it locked up. Has anyone had Sandboxie lock up when in use for a long period of time? I know that is probably not the way to use Sandboxie and I have since downloaded, but not installed, Returnil. I believe I would best be protected with Returnil as long as I continue to let my grandson play online games. Am I right in my assumption? I have been a little reserved to install Returnil because my friend had a considerable amount of trouble after he installed Returnil. Has anyone had this happen to them? Has anyone had trouble having Sandboxie and Returnil running at the same time? As always I will appreciate any and all replies and will thank you in advance.

John

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have Returnil installed on both of my computers and my father has it installed on both of his. We have both had the program for quite a long time and neither of us has ever had one problem with it that I can recall. I am not sure what problems your friend had but as far as I my experiences with Returnil, I would say it is one of the most stable and dependable programs I have ever used.

Returnil should protect you well from anything your grandson does as long as you remember to turn it on before he uses the system. My father always turns on Returnil's protection before my nephews use his computer. You might want to set Returnil to start protection at system boot and password protect your settings if you have to worry about your grandson rebooting the computer when you aren't around.

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I've had the free "returnil" installed in all my computers and have never had any problems, It's a simple install and forget type of program. I would recommend that over sandboxie because it's a very easy to use and program and once enabled you won't even know it's on, and doesn't cause any slowdown.

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Returnil,I've used it for almost a year now,never a problem or regret :thumb:

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I've been using Sandboxie and Returnil for around a year and they are best friends. I use Sandboxie daily for my internet apps and mainly use Returnil on-demand when surfing rough seas and trying new things.

I've been trying to get my sister to install Returnil on her machine and use it's protection when my niece's use the computer. Settings are always getting changed as the little one enjoys clicking fast and on everything :blink:.

6. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The same for me. In the Pro version there is also the Anti-Execute function to enable for a best protection, I don't know if in the free.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Returnil is the ultimate child proofer for your computer. My Granddaughter frequents the Disney site which has a chat room and an interactive game that she can play with other kids online. It's also a magnet for malware. I pulled 77 vundo trojans and countless other malware off the computer recently. I then installed the free Returnil after cleaning up the pc, and instructed her to enable Returnil every time she goes on the computer. Problem solved. :D

8. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I just finished installing Returnil. I may be incorrect but it seems that sometime back I read a post regarding creating a Z drive. To the best of my recollection the poster advised against it. I do not recall the reason and I may be wrong all together. I created a Z drive that I may or may not ever use. My question is did I make a mistake or is my memory, like everything else, failing me. As always all replies will be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

John

9. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I use Returnil's virtual partition on my computers and have absolutely no problems with it. It mounts and dismounts in a flash and works like a charm.

10. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Depends if you want to save files while the session lock/virtualisation is activated. If not you probably don't need it but it does no harm unless you are struggling for disc space . If you want rid of it or to reduce it just install again over the top of the existing version and select either to virtualise using physical memory or increase/deacrease the size of the Z drive. I don't use the Z now I've moved to a machine with a decent amount of RAM but did before. Never caused me any issues.

Per the OP I never surf without Sandboxie and it's never frozen because of prolonged use. Never had any bother with Sandboxie and Returnil running together.

Cheers

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I remember a thread about the security of the Z drive asking something as if a malware that pass in the Z drive can infect all the system...You should do a search here in the forum.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree. I have found over time Returnil to be a hell of a lot more stable then Shadow Defender. I like both, but Returnils paid product is stable, and I am using Vista.:thumb:

13. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Chris,
    No need for that much work. You can also remove the VP manually by doing the following:

Note: If there is any data or content in the VP you want to save for later, now would be the time to backup the contents or copy them to an alternate storage location...

1) Open RVS and then Dismount the Virtual Partition using the link to the right if mounted

2) Enable "View hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer if not already activated

3) Navigate to the C:\Returnil folder and delete the RVSYSTEM.img file

In most cases, the file will be too large to "save" within your recycle bin and Windows will ask if you just want to delete it. Go ahead and let Windows delete the file permanently. If you later decide you want to install a new VP, simply use the "Repair" option in the uninstaller:

1) Click Start > All Programs > Returnil

2a) Windows XP: Click the Uninstall link and then select the "Repair" option to reset preferences and/or create a new Virtual Partition

2b) Windows Vista: right click the uninstall link, select "Run as Administrator", allow the operation when challenged by the Vista UAC feature, then select the "Repair" option to reset preferences and/or create a new Virtual Partition

3) Complete your changes and then restart your computer when Returnil asks to do so.

Mike

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sandboxie and Returnil (full version) have never given me any problems.

If Coldmoon is still around I have only once had a minor prob. which hasn't
    recurred
    . I posted but no reply with the possible cause(s). Here the post
    from July 27th 2008:
    Just wondering why ?

15. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Ocky,
    Sorry for missing your previous post. The popup is normal behavior and is meant to give you a warning that your available cache is getting to a critical level. Depending on your current use, you may need to consider restarting the computer to flush the cache or using the repair feature I described above to create a larger disk cache.

All disk caching techniques eventually run into this type of physical limitation. Where RVS is different is that its disk cache can make use of more space as it is not limited by the contiguous space restraints of other implementations. We added this warning to provide some warning before the user is presented with the typically obscure Windows disk full/restart error so they can save open work before needing to reset.

HTH
    Mike

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation Coldmoon !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.