Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You could also use Chromium itself. Nik's releases are usually only day or two late: http://chromium.woolyss.com/?stb=1

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Q: Assume for discussion Sandboxie user focus is to minimize sandbox holes.
    I'm trialing HMP.A 3.5 with my sandbox config. Appears, HMP.A compatibility template still works (is needed) with 3.5 because without template. There is no Alert flyout on browser launch and no keystroke encryption window.

Curious, whether Direct Access to c:\windows\cryptoguard works (is needed). 3.5 CrytpoGuard folder is empty.
    If I happen upon a crypto event via browser sandbox, do I need to write (via Direct Access) outside sandbox (to cryptoguard folder) for CryptoGuard rollback or will crypto event be isolated anyway in browser sandbox (Direct Access, browser sandbox is places + content-prefs).

Maybe, this Q: belongs in HMP.A thread.
    Maybe, this Q: is Will sandbox isolate crypto event anyway with/wo HitmanProAlert (compatibility).
    Direct Access c:\windows\cryptoguard feels like a hole.?
    Comments .....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. Sandboxie Support

Sandboxie Support Registered Member

Soon. We're debating to release a Stable version or wait for Win 10 Redstone update at the end of June.

4. guest

guest Guest

Better wait Redstone, to be sure you won't need to release fix builds after.

5. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Release now, no offense to win10 users, but they are not everyone. If a issue crops up that could delay this version which is currently ready further.

6. Sandboxie Support

A release takes resources, that paid users are notified of a stable update automatically via SBIE, we'd rather not hit those users with 2 updates right away. If you have an issue, there is the beta's that address everything that 5.10 may be missing. And the changes Microsoft makes to Win 10 is NOT confined to Win 10. You would be mistaken to believe that. Those changes usually ALWAYS roll back down to 8.1, and even 7.

Windows 10 is the most current, and what we're seeing the most increase in..and what the Devs are working on....and Invincea products - issues/demand drives that to a very, very large extent.....

Windows 10 is active. 8.1 and 7...well, are sunset. But we know users are out there. Same w/ XP.

It's like Chrome, it's the most popular at the moment for SBIE users according to the traffic, FF is losing ground. Google is aggressive in changes, and well.. we have to be as well. That applies to FF if they right their ship.

But It depends on the Devs and others.... If you want the stable/RC release, it's basically beta 5.11.11 at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I agree

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

chrcol, beta 5.11.11 is solid, in my opinion it could be released as stable. You don't need to wait for the release of 5.12 to upgrade.

I like the way Sandboxie has been releasing betas lately, that is, small amount of changes in each individual beta that gets released. So, if you get in the habit of upgrading every time a beta gets released, if something breaks, is easier to detect the cause of the issue than if you go from stable to stable. This works great for the SBIE user who uses betas and it helps the development of SBIE. :)

Bo

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

My experience has been exactly the same.

10. Sandboxie Support

MS should be going to RTM any day now with Redstone. If all looks good, we can proceed. Usually, USUALLY once it's RTM, major changes are avoided and it's usually just minor clean up.. [crosses fingers]

11. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I installed Chromium without the syncing and WebRTC, and to my surprise it installed in the user-space. It did not give me any option during the installation where to install to. I would prefer to install to Program Files Folders. I do need at least one good backup browser, if nothing else a browser to trouble shoot with. I report a lot of bugs in web platforms I use often, and it's best to try a few different browsers to see if the problem is isolated to a specific browser. I have Internet Explorer disabled on my machines because it has been my experience that it is very vulnerable compared to other browsers. I have not had a chance to use Windows Edge yet since i'm using Windows 7, but I think I will really like it from everything I have read about it. Do you know if it's possible to install Chromium to Program Files Folders? I could just use the portable version, and place it in the Program Files (x86) Folder. Do you think that would be my best bet? I have not used Chromium in a long time.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Can't tell for Chromium but for Google Chrome (Enterprise version). If you need links:
    Code:
    x86
    https://dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise.msi

x64
    https://dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank you! I will try the Enterprise version. What is is difference in the Enterprise version, and regular Google Chrome? Do you know?

15. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

You are welcome.

Differences:
    1. Enterprise lands in Program Files (x86) even though x64 is used, while Consumer in AppData.
    2. In a multi-user scenario, msi installs Chrome for all users by default.

Here are a couple other features you should be aware of:
    1. If a user already had the Consumer version installed and you push out the Enterprise edition to their machine, the next time they launch the Consumer edition it will detect that the Enterprise edition is installed. After displaying an explanatory message to the user, the Consumer edition uninstalls itself, the user's Chrome shortcuts are updated and the Enterprise edition is launched.
    2. The user's personal settings from the Consumer edition will be picked up by the Enterprise edition, as long as the version number of the Enterprise edition is greater or equal to the Consumer edition.

Therefore, I recommend to install Enterprise on a clean fresh system.

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank you for the information! I'm going to roll this machine back in a few days. Chrome has never been installed on the image i'm restoring to so it should work out well. I usually roll my machine back once every 2-4 weeks depending on what i'm doing. I may roll it back several times in one week though if i'm beta testing.

I was looking on this Chromium version I already have installed for the option to Sandbox, but I can't find it. I remember seeing it somewhere in the settings in Google Chrome before. I wonder if that option is also in Chromium Browser. Maybe i'm just overlooking it, or maybe it's not available in Chromium.

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Do you mean to disable built-in sandbox? Because by default it's already enabled on Chrome but there's a flag to disable it. Or perhaps you are talking about AppContainer?

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, AppContainer is what I was referring to. I could not remember what it was since I have not used Chrome in a while. I was just looking for AppContainer in Chromium, and don't see it. I have not added any Apps so I guess that's why. I have only added extension. I don't think I will need to add any Apps.

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I just download ZIP archive and extract it in Program Files (x86) subfolder. It works great with no issues. I didn't find any limitation so you can set it as default browser and everything else. When upgrading I just delete content of that subfolder and copy installation from new zip file. So far I haven't experienced any problems.
    EDIT: for first time run I run it outside Sandboxie, later it runs under SBIE, same as Chrome.

20. guest

guest Guest

chrome://flags/ > Enable AppContainer Lockdown. (bottom of the list)

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, thank you for the info! I may try that after doing an image restore. I already have Chromium installed in the user-space now.

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Wow, they really need to make the list alphabetized like firefox! It's hard to find anything. Thanks, I know I will find it eventually.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay folks. When the discussion becomes all about Chrome it is off topic here. Lets return to the topic which is Sandboxie.

Pete

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

They spend most of their time dealing with W10 because is the newer system. W10 as of now is continuously changing, this changes makes it necessary for SBIE to also evolve to keep up with W10.

But with older systems like W7, not much is changing and for the most part, Sandboxie works great in those systems with very little to fix. Most issues that get reported in systems like W7 have to do with compatibility issues. Sometimes they can be fixed and sometimes they cant. Some programs (specially other security programs) wont work along SBIE, my advice is to stay away from those programs and in general, try using programs that work well with SBIE. There are plenty of those and thats really what you want to do if you want to enjoy using SBIE and stay away from experiencing issues.

In my personal case, I don't experience issues between SBIE and the programs that I run sandboxed, that is because I use programs that get along well with SBIE, this programs have a history of running well under SBIE. The rare times I experience an issue is due to a change in the SBIE code that has a direct effect in the way programs run in my systems. When that has happened, I help the developers to reproduce the issue which I been told is really the hard part of getting issues fixed. And then in the next beta, the issue I reported gets fixed. The point is, if you have an issue, you need to help the developers to reproduce it. If you can do that then its likely what you reported will get fixed. :)

Bo

25. Sandboxie Support

Why would we not? If it's a OS related issue? Have not addressed an issue in 7 or 8.1? And the updates are for SBIE Beta's. They do not impact the standard release. But beta successes will be rolled into that. A beta is just that, a beta for us [ And those willing ] to test. If you're not running Win 10, and the beta doesn't address an issue, them there is no need for you to try it. You're probably not missing anything. But we have to release a beta so users of "xy and z" can test. That's the core purpose of a beta.

EXAMPLE: Patch Tuesday Oct 2015. Started out as issues seen in Win 10 update(s)...then it was see in 8.1 later that...it totally broke SBIE....... and related KBs also broke 7...

Windows 10 is standard OS for Windows PCs.

An OS is something we HAVE to support. Especially and OS that's being updated...constantly. If MS wasn't pushing out updates, we wouldn't be as much either. Same for Chrome, FF, etc.

How often is MS updating 7 & 8.1?? not much. If they do, it's part of Windows 10 compatibility and issue that impact Windows overall......as Windows 10 updates can, and do, trickle down to at least 8.1 and sometimes 7.

MS is aggressively updating Win 10. With all sorts of things. A typical home user cannot buy a PC with 8.1 or 7 on it. So logically, everyone is focusing on Win 10. We have to focus on that because of the security impacts that are made there will bite us not only there, but possibly in a KB for 8.1 and poss 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.