Sandboxie 4.06 released

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by stapp, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is the life time licence discontinued? If so why the site still says about the licence that it:

Also was the old licence( life time one) was for a single PC or all the PCs owned by the person?

Thanks

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Thank you Bo. Disabling protected mode solved the problem. Back on version 4.06 :)

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I think it means that the new license terms apply to 4.06 and all future versions.

Old lifetime license was for all pc's owned by you.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16676

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Anyone have any knowledge of what this means. SBIE2203 Failed to communicate with sandboxie service: "GUIPROXY_0000001-Firefox.exe [C0000061]
    Tried looking it up on the help file but it wasn't very helpful.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Good that I bought one years before this.

However still I anever used it it since I bought it. :)

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

If you search Sandboxie's forums for SBIE2203 or C0000061 you will find a bunch of topics. You might try uninstalling Sbie, rebooting twice and then installing the latest version. Tzuk also suggested that another program may be blocking the sandboxed process.

Or WSA may be the problem.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16173&highlight=c0000061
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15377&highlight=c0000061

Try excluding sandboxie in WSA if that is possible.

7. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Re: Sandboxie goes rentware

Well the man needs to eat, lifetime license has the disadvantage of losing income in the long term. So I guess it's the better choice for him.

9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Re: Sandboxie goes rentware

If Sandboxie is one entity [Ronen Tzur] who holds the source code and who would continue development should anything happen to him o_O

10. garry35

for people buying a yearly license what happens after the year subs end ? does it revert back to free version or does this it mean that you cant update the program after your subs expire ?

11. kjdemuth

Ok. I figured out it was CFW. So I uninstalled that. After that I would still get Firefox freezing up after a minute. So I uninstalled WSA and rebooted. I don't have anything else running so I figured I was all set. Nope. I uninstalled sandboxie and rebooted twice. I'm still getting the freeze in firefox with sandboxie running. The only thing I installed recently was win 8.1. I'm going to have to put sandboxie on the back burner till I can figure out what the issue is. Stupid Windows updates messing with my setup. :thumbd:

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Per tzuk,

"Sandboxie does not lock up when the time-limited license expires, it goes back to free mode."

13. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi kjdemuth, your issue is probably being caused by something that runs inside the Firefox sandbox when you run Firefox sandboxed. Otherwise, I think, you would be getting the same error for other programs as well when they run sandboxed. If I was you, in first instance, I would run Firefox in a new sandbox while using V4.06 to see if it makes a difference.

If that doesn't work, I think you should create a new thread about your issue at the Sandboxie forum. When tzuk gets to sees your thread, he ll probably ask you to post a Resource access log done while running Firefox sandboxed to see if anything that's running inside could be the cause of the problem. My nose tells me that WSA could be it but you never know.

During very early betas, I did get the 2203 error in all sandboxes where I had Drop Rights ticked. Unticking that option got rid of the errors. Later, after the issue got reported, it got fixed by Tzuk. I don't know if doing that would make a difference for you but it is something else that you can try.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SBIE2203

Bo

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Regarding the new SBIE subscription policy, I wonder if the following ("does not entitle you to any guaranteed level of technical support") is a new condition, and if so, it strikes me as being a bit harsh as far as paid subscription benefits go...

SBIE no tech support.jpg

15. bo elam

Hi Page, thats been there from before, I think the wording is exactly as it was before the changes in licensing were implemented. But we know we get support if needed is just not guaranteed.

Bo

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I could take exception to this statement, my friend. But now is no time to be piling on a developer who appears to be under fire in some quarters for an unpopular decision.
    Suffice it to say, we all tend to think our problems are important, despite how trivial they may appear to others, and I confess that when a dev does not seem to share that opinion, it is hard to accept.
    I am a strong advocate of Sandboxie.
    That hasn't changed since the day I installed it 3 years ago.
    But the wording of that "no guaranteed level of tech support" policy caught me by surprise. I do not recall ever having seen that before, Bo.

Edit in: Bo just sent me a PM showing that exact written phrase from 2009. What do I always say? Bo knows!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  17. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

It seems to take the onus off the developer to offer support on a problem until it's resolved. It's as if to imply he'll troubleshoot to the extent or level he feels is reasonable.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Or, to put it another way, "I'll help you, maybe, but I don't have to."
    I think that it all comes back to tzuk being a one-man operation.
    He can only handle so much.
    Fortunately, on the forum, there are a handful of members who steadily provide assistance so that tzuk doesn't have to field every inquiry or plea for help.
    I have been the grateful recipient of such assistance there more than a few times.

19. kjdemuth

Thanks Bo.
    Yeah I figured it was related to WSA but I have since uninstalled it. I'm only running sandboxie and nothing else. I'm still getting firefox locked up. It's only after a minute or so. I'm also running firefox typing this while using "disabled forced programs", so its not currently sandboxed. I tried to post a response but I'm new to the sandboxie forum (Been using it for years but never went to the forum). They only allow one response and then you have to wait before posting again. I'll be replying at some point today to see if tzuk can help me out.

20. garry35

if subs expire after a year whats the benefit of buying a years sub when you might as well stay with the free version. i feel the licensing is a little harsh, why not do as other progs do and charge for major updates or versions. as the changes to the license is now, it might deter potential customers away and actually reduce the resourses and funds available

21. bo elam

Simple. Being able to use multiple sandboxes at the same time and forcing programs and folders is what makes the paid version worth using instead of the free version. That hasn't changed at all.

You know, the old license was available for nine years, that's plenty time for everyone that was lucky to have been exposed to Sandboxie to have made the wise decision of purchasing it. Now that license is gone.

Bo

22. kjdemuth

Bo,
    Clearing out my firefox sandbox and making a new one worked. Not sure why it worked but it did. Thanks for the assistance.

23. garry35

regardless of any minor advantages of buying a paid yearly license to rent the software, unless your lucky enough to have a lifetime license the advantages you have paid for are gone unless you pay to rent it again regardless of whether or not you use it. it can easily take a year or longer for the user to become comfortable using and configure it to their taste

this is another example of biting the hand that feeds you ie. you buy a license to support the developer and your repayed by having to pay a yearly subscription. it would been better if you could at least keep the last available version (with paid advantages) before your license expired. i understand that the developer needs to eat and pay bills etc, but this is making it an easy decision to get the free version and the developer doesnt get paid and most likely stops developing it or the other option is for people to use pirated or illegal versions with all the bad things that entails but either way the developer suffers and ultimately the end user suffers too........

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  24. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Correct. Unfortunately I was so silly not to do it. :( I only considered a purchase quite often ...

The reason why I finally never decided to buy a license was the lack of additional "interesting" (for me) features in the paid version:
    Both of them are not of big importance for my use of Sandboxie (= mainly the protection of the browser while surfing).

From this point of view I do not really miss the (lifetime) license - as long as the free version will stay as it is now. But I think that this will not happen: I hardly can imagine that tzuk will make much money with the new licensing model. (More than 15 € every year only for these two features? :gack:) And so the next step will (presumably) be the reduction of features in the free version in order to make the paid version more attractive ...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

15 Euros a year is less than $ 2 a month, and less than what one pays nominally for the average antivirus. IMO it offers almost 100% security, and even though it has no signatures like an AV, it needs constant attention from the developer.

The only criticism I might have with the new model is the validity of the license for only one computer, I couldn't imagine myself paying 45 Euros a year for 3 machines at home...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.