Sandboxie 3.50

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by LODBROK, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Sandboxie 3.50 ? I updated weeks ago and don`t really care what improvements have been made. Can one improve something that is near perfect to start with ? The answer is YES, but it must be very difficult finding it.Tzuk must have the eye of an Eagle.

I have not had a wisp of an infection on my system since installing Sandboxie 5-6 months ago and I have visited the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I did have to find that an update was available manually by routine check as I always do on all my programs. So the update notification never worked, big deal !

John

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, I agree. I haven't updated my paid version in many months. If someone can point me to a serious problem with SB, or a potent bug that can get past it, then OK, I will but ... IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!! :cautious:

Acadia

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Well, you can always take a look at it yourself:p

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?VersionChanges

I've only heard of a few bypass theories but can't confirm if any really exists. Seems like there was 1 in the past but it was patched - can't confirm which version that is. Does anyone know which version to be exact?

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Dudes, most of the changes are compatibility updates, not security updates.:cool:

5. safeguy

Very true. But if you looked at the forum threads, some of the compatibility updates are quite important as there might be conflict/bug with some other security software installed on your computer that disrupts Sandboxie's workings or the respective programs workings. A few that I've seen/read are Comodo Defense+, Spyshelter, Avira, Avast, AVG. But not everyone is affected...only certain setups/configuration seem to have a problem. In other words, you might not realize that you are getting reduced protection. If you're not affected, then good for you and you can always stick to older version until you find the need to upgrade. I'm just letting people who read this thread know...

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Sometimes Sandboxie gets updated to fix problems that occur after you
    install Windows updates. For example, SBIE 3.442 was released to fix
    problems that caused SBIE to stop working on XP after you updated
    your computer. This and what safeguy is saying are very good reasons
    to keep SBIE updated. Updating Sandboxie is fast and easy and always
    works perfectly afterward, so there is no reasonable reason not to update.

Bo

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hey, thanks for that. I looked and saw that he fixed a compatibility problem with SiteAdvisor. I stopped using SA because it did not work with Sandboxie. Might have to rethink my thinking.

Acadia

8. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Back when I was using Sandboxie Tzuk had to get an update out because a Windows update caused it to stop working. The Sandboxie forum was flooded with people that had their Sandboxie broken by that update.

9. bo elam

In less than 10 hours Tzuk fixed it by releasing an update.

Bo

10. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Yes he was quick to get it out. Those kernel updates from Microsoft can knock products like Sandboxie out which is one of the main reasons to keep it updated.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I updated to the most current Sandboxie but had to recover a backup (thank you, FirstDefense). Should have taken my own advice: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. Got my first blue screen ever in WinXP and my MacroExpress behaved really weird, never did get to test SiteAdvisor.

Acadia

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

UPDATE: It appears to be an Online Armor problem talked about on both the Sandboxie and OA forums. Two excellent programs and I would not want to live without either one. I am willing to wait for them to work together in harmony once again, till then, I'll stick with the older versions. This computer coding stuff sure does get awfully complicated, anyone who can invent a simple yet safe computer deserves to become wealthier than Bill Gates. :eek:

Acadia

13. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I had OA. liked it a lot, but it just did not work with Sbxie. I posted the problem on this Forum, but got no supportive comments whatsoever. One thing is certain - OA does NOT work with SBxie at present and until it does, OA is OUT.

John

14. safeguy

Erm, I don't want to sound like a broken record in contrast to what I've stated earlier but actually, not all updates are trouble-free.

I'm a believer of not updating programs merely for the sake of 'updating'. Sometimes, updates/upgrades can cause more problems than what they're worth. It's not about doing all or no updates. It's about making the choice when/what to update - if that update does nothing for you and isn't worthy of any possible trouble, then you might want to 'forget' it. Otherwise, you have to weigh the cost (possibility of conflict/trouble in your setup) vs benefit (see change-log is one example) for yourself. It's also wise to have the older version as a backup.

Anyone in need of older version of Sandboxie can always go here (see the links on the right):
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_sandboxie/

@Acadia

You're right: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

But it doesn't harm to check once in a while to see.:p You might not realize something is 'broken' if you don't check at all. That's my initial message;)

15. bo elam

safeguy, I agree with you that we should not upgrade/update just for
    the sake of doing it but my experience updating SBIE has always been
    perfect and in the long run necessary.

Bo

16. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Running Sandboxie with Avira Premium;) I does a scan with Malwarebytes about once a week.I haven't seen anything as of yet!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.