Sandboxie 3.24 released

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by stapp, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

Re: Sandboxie

Thank you very much for that speedy reply. Trouble is I do not understand one word of it. Sorry about that. It is all way over my head. I am not privvy to any sort of techie speak.

As for my D drive, it came to me brand new almost completely full. It's a Vista Prem. Home Edition, if that helps at all.

Gratefully,

newbie2247

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

You can also configure CCleaner custom folders to have CCleaner empty out the sandbox. Simply open up CCleaner and click on the options tab. Then click on include. Add C\Sandbox\YourName\. Then go back to CCleaner cleaner tab and go down to advanced and put a check mark next to Custom files and folders. Works like a charm.

3. newbie2247

Thanks, but my questions were: Do I have to, like how often? Also, how large is it, in other words, how can I tell when I "have to"?

Does anyone here know any of this? It would be helpful. I find reading the tutorial and FAQs and Googling Sandboxie terribly hard to understand. Like another language.

I do want to use if correctly and fully so I'm trying real hard to figure the dang thing out.

4. Dieselman

Use the same rule of thumb as you do cookies and temp files. I run CCleaner everyday or sometimes every other day.

It also depends on how much browsing you do.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Re: Sandboxie

Okay. Maybe this will be a little clearer.

You can set up sandboxie to empty itself as soon as all the programs and/or folders you have specific to run sandoxed are closed. If set up, this is done automatically. Use these images as a guide on how to access Sandboxie setting and do what I described above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you have not that, you can also setup Sandboxie to automaticaly prompt you to save files which you have doenloaded to a certain location, which you specify, so that it is not in the sandbox and will not be erased when the sandbox is. To do this use the below screenshot as a guide:

[​IMG]

In my case, I have configured Sandboxie to prompt me anytime something is saved to D:\. You can remove that path and add your own location. That way things you intend to save are indeed saved. Of course, this only applies to an an application that is already running inside a sandbox; such as an internet browser.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

There is no correct answer for this question, because it is up to the user. Invoking automatic deletion, as I showed in the above post, will eliminate this problem for you and have the contents 'erased' everytime Sandoxie is no longer needed.

7. newbie2247

I tried to follow your instructions and I was able to get the sandbox to delete from the default box drop-down menu.

I am seriously confused on how to set up the personal folder for myself to recover things to (in my case it would be my C drive) %personal%

Nowhere did I see "immediate recovery" as shown on your illustration. Maybe it's because I have the freebie version?

Anyway, I tried but only got halfway there, ran into a brick way and had to go back and try to remember what I did so that I could undo. That was scary, lol. Boy did I panic for a couple of minutes. So, I've made no progress and back where I started.

Also, gave the CCleaner setup recommended here a try and didn't know how to do that one step by step. I either need blueprints or flow charts. Throw in a couple of "T" accounts also, lol. :doubt:

Thank you very much.

8. Dieselman

I told you step by step how to make CCleaner clean up the Sandbox.

9. newbie2247

Regarding the ccleaner solution, when I get to "INCLUDE", what do I select? File or Folder?

10. newbie2247

Also, do I have to go into My Computer and make a new Folder or somewhere special be it a file or folder.

When I name it using "my name", it's my real name not some login name, right?

Thanks again, very, very much. :)

11. Dieselman

When you use a browser sandboxied you will automaticlly get a folder created in the directory of C\Sandboxie\loginname. Just add that directory to CCleaner "include".

12. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Select folder and don't forget to tick - Advanced - Custom Files and Folders in CCleaner's main gui.

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi newbie2247,

It might be helpful to know which browser you use and where you normally download your files. As far as emptying the sandbox is concerned, you also want to make sure you empty it before and after doing any financial transactions or other types of personal transactions. This is very important! It also may just be easier to let the sandbox delete the contents when you close your browser.

I personally block access to my other partitions which contains My Documents. This can be done very easily in Sandboxie's settings and can help protect your data in the small chance that malware or a keylogger finds it's way into the sandbox during a session. That means I have to download everything to my Desktop or into a folder on my Desktop. This give's me a chance to scan what I download before moving it to My Documents.

Sandboxing programs can be a little confusing at first because they are very different from anti-virus programs and suites. Just think of the sandbox as a theoretical airtight box that contains everything you do when you run a program in it. You get to choose when to empty it and what to allow in or out of it if you choose to (like your bookmarks). Once you get it setup, it's really easy to use. And by all means, if you don't like Sandboxie, there are 2 other free versions available so please don't give up on sandbox programs :).

14. newbie2247

These are all great and handy recommendations and boy do I appreciate them all. Ironically, they produce lots of other questions. EEKS! o_O

Mainly what I originally wanted to know is how long can I go without emptying Sandboxie, weeks, months, years? Will I get some kind of message from them telling me that it's time to empty it? Since I do a lot of surfing with Stumbleupon it is imperative that I do so sandboxed. Just now learning from Innerpeace that "bad guys" can penetrate even this has devastated me and ruined my year. :( Geesh! Nothing is sacred. I am not safe with a sandbox and my ESET Nod32. How sad and unfair. What do I need to do to surf safely? Holy cow!!! :argh:

I also had a lot of trouble with one suggestion. Creating a file or folder for recovery - not as easy as you might think for a newbie. Also, don't know how to take stuff out and put it into this file or folder, step by step. There is Recovery and Immediate Recovery and lots of other confusing options/decisions to make. It's all so very, very confusing. Just boggles the mind for beginners like myself. :doubt:

Innerpeace, what are the names of the 2 other free Sandboxes please? Hopefully they are Vista Premium compatible. I Googled "free sandbox programs" and Wikipedia had several but I did not look them up. I might later after I get some replies (hopefully) and I'm crossing my fingers hoping they're compatible and easier to use. I sure hope so.

Why does Sandboxie seem to have cornered the market on free Sandboxes? Food for thought, eh? Sure as heck would like to know as I am one curious person.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate it all very much. You've all been absolutely wonderful and I'm sending out a virtual hug to you all, LOL. :)

Warm Regards,

Newbie2247

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

GeSWall (liteware)
    SafeSpace

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Just curious,i guess you'r a female,aren't you ? LOL ;)

But calm down,don't panic !
    SBIE just right from the box in its default settings is already very safe.
    Take the time to learn the different settings in Sandboxie controll[online help and website will help you] and for now leave the Sandboxie.ini alone,except for some special wishes,configure can all be done from within the sandboxie controll.

I admit that the Sandboxie options look like rocketscience as compared with the almost automatic workings of Safe Space !! LOL.

17. newbie2247

ROTFLMAO!!! :shifty:

I was able to find and install Safe Space but could not find the one named GESWELL, bummer.

Thought I'd give a few a try but maybe with my luck that's not a good idea. I will say that I very much like what I read about Safe Space and even Trend Micro (lol) endorses it. What does that tell you? :rolleyes:

18. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe it's Geswall. You can find it here.

Pete

20. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I honestly don't know how long you could go without emptying the sandbox. Since it's really just another file in your C: partition, you might be able to fill it up until your hard drive is full. Probably the only warning you might see is from Windows telling you your drive is full. Their is actually a setting in Sandboxie to never empty the sandbox. I'm sure there is a reason for the setting, but I would never need it.

My intentions were not to frighten you, like Huppi said, Sandboxie is very safe at it's default settings. Some of the settings just 'tighten' things up a bit or customize Sandboxie to our likings.

Where do you normally download things? Once you know that, it's just a simple matter of setting that location in Sandboxie and all your future downloads will be recoverable there.

Lucas and Peter have provided the links to the other 2 free sandboxing programs. Thanks guys :). It looks like their Vista compatible too.

I'm not sure they have the market cornered as there are 3 other sandboxes that are just as good, but work a bit differently. SafeSpace (free), GesWall (free 'liteware' and paid versions) and DefenseWall (paid only). All are very well thought of here at Wilders :thumb:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.