Safe'N'Sec Review

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SDS909, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Blue

I don't think so. I do have some stuff real time monitoring. F-Prot,Giant AS,(Not Spysweeper), PG, RegDefend, etc. My last attempt was what Dimitri sent me as the version they were releasing today. It actually went thru the activation process just fine. I have 1 left according to the site. After activating, I rebooted, and started okaying some of the start up stuff. System frose. Rebooted, and this time got further into the startup process. But still froze. It is something they changed in 1.1 as I can still go back and install 1.0.

About the only thing left I could do is keep trying slowy disabling each individual thing that starts, to try and isolate the problem for them. Only issue is they have made that impossible with the activation mess, as each attempt means a reinstall. If it was a DCS product with their key approach I can reinstall indefinitely. Also I am not to incline to spend the time, as I did this with PG and spent hours. Ultimately Jason found the problem with the driver. Had nothing to do with my system. I suspect that is the case here also. I am sure these guys will find this issue also. Just time

Pete

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

There is no activation process asking for a key with the 1.1 trial.

3. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

The activation process key is only for the paid program not the trial ;-)

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Pete .
    Cannot answer why the two do not get along . I know my computer will not even boot to windows if the PXagent is running . I do not know .

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Pete,

Can you successfully boot to safe mode with it installed? You said you got further along in the start-up process. Does this mean the problem is caused either by a start-up application (vs. service) either directly or through an interaction with some other process? If you can go to safe mode and it does occur during the start-up application launch, you should be able to sequentially enable start-up application entries via msconfig without doing a reinstallation.

Blue

6. hollywoodpc

I only have used the regular version . Now , with the " plus " version , 28 k in resource useage .

7. Peter2150

Yes, once I did boot to Safe Mode. But I didn't get full application startup. I ust checked with everything functional, and I still don't get full startup, as a lot of services and drivers aren't installed. But when I tried some of the programs, they went ahead and did install. When I had tried it with SnS 1.1 the one time, when I click on the desktop Icon nothing happened. About all I could have done in Safe mode re SnS would have been to uninstall it. I accomplished the same with First Defense.

Funny thing about it was after discovering I couldn't do anything with it so I just rebooted. This one time the system came up like it should have. Everything seemed normal and okay. Just to test things I rebooted. Froze next time around.

When I first reported the shutdown problem, their response was they couldn't duplicate the problem, and it was almost impossible to duplicate a complicated setup like mine. But apparently they found it. I have no doubt they will find this. Clearly it is a result of some change between 1.0 and 1.1

Pete

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Peter,

Reminds me of the issue I suffered with mks_vir until the Arcavir 2005 release. There was a timing sensitive problem that occurred on startup - and occasionally when running. This was a problem which had very reproducible timing x minutes y seconds after logon = BSOD. It took a while, but was resolved. If you did have one successful logon, there might be a critical wait time (or don't wait time) while services load during which you can squeeze a successful logon. Not a viable resolution, but it could help point to a solution. Depending on the time you wish to devote to this, you might just want to sit it out while things are corrected and then request a license extension for your troubles and lost usage.

Blue

9. Peter2150

License and activations aren't an issue, as I am sure they will do the right thing. Obviously if I am going to help them they have to deal with the activation issue, as I am down to one. Plus on one of the beta's they sent me they actually gave me a different key, so they are fine on that issue.

I probably won't put in any more effort until they come up with something. I put many hours into Process Guard early on and it turned out all that mattered was Jason realized he had a problem, and he found it.

Additionally here my motivations isn't as strong. I have Prevx up and running and it is fine. I would love to be able to do a better evaluation of SnS, and I am sure I will get the chance, but it just isn't as critical to me.

I await events.

Pete

10. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

THIS explains it! I'm still getting this with Arcavir.. I found that half the time with Arcavir installed that either Windows doesn't load (blackscreen freeze), or it causes a timing error on load, which leaves me with no tray icons. I totally pinned the fault on Arcavir, if I uninstall it, it works perfectly. This caused me to switch to Dr.Web instead.

FYI if you run out of activations for SNS, email hotline@star-force.com your Cd Key and they will add more activations. Thats what they did for me on two occaisons already (Because i'm testing). Works great. They said they will work on relaxing the activation system but in the meantime just request more activations.

11. hollywoodpc

Curious SDS .
    I am using Arcavir and no such problem

12. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Then I must be lying. ;-)

You, of all people, know that some products just have problems on some rigs or some combinations of hardware/software. Other products don't. I suspect much of my issue is Arcavir hasn't been tested extensively on very fast computers. (3.8Ghz, 1024MB PC4300 Ram) Which might explain why Arcavir has startup timing issues, and according to at least one other person here, this was a problem with them as well.

Also Arcavir caused a severe slowdown when browsing shared network folders, and I noticed on the arcavir forums, others experianced this as well. The false positives, well those are pretty annoying, but I can live when em.

Don't get me wrong, Arcavir is a great AV, it just needs more time to "Mature" or least be polished up a bit more. Its still my second choice of AV to run. If I wasn't so happy with Dr.Web, i'd be running Arcavir, my license for Arcavir lapses this month, and I made the switch to DrWeb instead after trialing it for a full month.

13. hollywoodpc

Damn , SDS .
    No problem here . I DO know that different systems react differently . Why , never mind ....
    I thought you were ok but , geez , not sure . I will stay away from you . Enjoy the forum

14. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

When it WAS supposed to be funny, hence the "Wink". :cool:

15. Peter2150

I just noticed there is an announcement of a new 1.1 dated today on the Star-Force website. Does anyone know if this indeed is a new version of 1.1??

Pete

16. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Unknown, I should check I guess. Click the tray icon, then about. Mine says 1.1 Version 5. But I might be a couple versions back.

I know an updated version is due out ASAP thats supposed to allow on the fly updating of all components without the need to reinstall and can be scheduled to check daily for updates.

17. Peter2150

Before I can click the tray Icon I have to have a version I can get running. I emailed them and asked and also asked for a refill of activations. Going to wait to here from them before I try anything.

18. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I just got a new version today to test as well. I'm told in the same email Forums for the product will be online shortly (I assume within a day or two).

I'll let you know what I find with the new version. I guess I need to register here so I can PM you a private email address of someone at Safe'n'Sec that can directly try to solve your issue.

19. Peter2150

I would be curious to know who you got it from. Is the same version that is now available for download??

Pete

20. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

their support is good, if you have some ideas or questions: they allways respond very fast...

the same goes for their beta's or prereleases, when that is finished out, they'll put it on the market :)

21. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I think i'm "Unofficially" beta testing it. I was the first person to start getting pre-release versions, I guess i'm the first beta tester. :cool:

I've spoken with them about establishing a more formal beta testing program, i'd even run it for them if they wanted. So I hope that comes into play soon so we can organize everyones thoughts, problems, and comments into concise reports for the development team.

I have an extensive background in product management and testing programs in the software business, and actually don't mind volunteering it for them if it will help better the product - which I already use and enjoy anyway!

22. Peter2150

Hi SDS

Curious as to whether you have also looked at Prevx. Don't want to get to far off subject but any quick thoughts.

Pete

23. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

How do you run this thing? I installed 1.1 trial and clicked the exe and see it appear in taskmanager for a second then disappears.

24. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Well I can confirm that SNS also protects your HOSTS file... On my honeypot tonight one of the bugs I was playing with tried to change the hosts file and got stopped by SNS.

I like so far.. =)

25. Peter2150

Hi SDS

Couple of questions.

1. When you gonna register so I can PM you? :D
    2. What version of 1.1 are you running. I am not sure I have the lastest. Emailed techsupport 2 nights ago, as I think I might have found my problem, and want to verify with the latest. So far no response.
    3. Is there a way to download latest paid version. I don't want to fool with the trial
    4. Have you fooled around with Prevx at all to compare it with SnS?

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.