Safely Remove Hardware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Having your internal harddisks in "Safely Remove Hardware" is NOT good, that is my experience.

- I had constantly VSS - Event ID 12289 errors in my Application Log, during any copy/update with FDISR.
    - I had also regular warnings regarding paging of my first harddisk.

After re-installing my computer (for the second time) all these problems disappeared.

I'm almost 100% sure that this was due to my first installation, which I did in this situation :

1. My first harddisk[C:], containing my System Partition was zero-ed, before I installed it.
    2. My second harddisk[D:], containing my Data Partition was not zero-ed and still contained all my data. That was a mistake.
    During the install Windows assigned the letter "E" instead of "C" to my first harddisk, which wasn't normal either.
    I fixed this with my partition manager.

During the second installation, the situation was different :

1. My first harddisk[C:] was zero-ed.
    2. My second harddisk[D:] was also zero-ed.
    During the install Windows assigned the letter "C" to my first harddisk and that was normal.

Then I installed my system partition [C:]

The "Safely Remove Hardware"-icon was still there from the beginning, but only contained my external harddisk [E:] and that was normal, because it was ON.

I couldn't use my images of the first installation to make my two internal harddisks disappear in the "Safely Remove Hardware", including my first image, that contained Windows only.
    Because I couldn't fix it with my poor technical knowledge, I re-installed my computer for the second time from scratch and yes, I had a second phone-activation of Windows. :mad:

I was hoping that my first phone-activation would allow an internet-activation for another 120 days, but that wasn't true. Once you had a phone-activation, you always have a phone-activation after that.

Everything is back to normal, but I lost alot of time. Pffft. :(

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Erik, I have never had anything other than my external, usb drives and printer listed in "safely remove hardware"

You do lead an exciting life, I don't know how you manage these things :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  3. ErikAlbert

Well, I'm not the only one with INTERNAL harddisks in "Safely Remove Hardware", if you read the thread completely.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree. I have my other disks there also.

5. ErikAlbert

Don't you have any errors in Event Viewer after a copy/update to archive ?
    I never had any errors in the copy/update processing screen, but I had errors in the Event Viewer (Application Log), while my internal harddisks were mentioned in "Safely Remove Hardware".

After my second re-install all errors were gone, each event log has now nothing but blue Info messages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.