Running LnS205b3, @guard, adsubtract together under win2k

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by friedclams, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. friedclams

friedclams Registered Member

Perhaps someone can help me with a problem I'm having running windows 2000, LnS and @guard v3.22.11 and adsubtract v2.55 with my opera v7.23 browser...

1) I read somewhere that @guard might not work under win2k without touching the TAG values of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ for the TCPIP and IAMDRV keys... I've gone one step further and also looked at the LNSFW1 key TAG value.... after I installed win2k all the TAG values for these keys were equal to 5, I've changed them to TCPIP=5, LNSFW1=6, IAMDRV=7 to be sure that TCPIP loads before my firewalls... is this ok?

With the changed TAG values LnS alone or LnS running with @guard work OK (when I go to pcflank all is stealth)... both firewalls function together without hurting eachothers capabilities...

2) I can run LnS, opera v7 and @guard together without problem...
    I can run LnS, opera v7 and adsubtract together without problem...

I CANNOT run LnS, opera v7, adsubtract AND @guard at the same time without hanging up opera waiting for incoming traffic from adsubtract via @guard and LnS.

LnS allows adsubtract and @guard. My @guard firewall rule allows any adsubtract access to the web and the rule log shows that opera is passing the web request to adsubtract which is creating and sending outbound messages to the web. I can see the message going to the web on my RAS monitor and see a message(s) return from the web. At that point opera is hung and NO messages are returning from the chain of LnS, @guard and adsubtract... if I disable @guard and refresh the web page, LnS, opera and adsubtract work ok to fetch and scrub the webpage and it displays in Opera.

I recently upgraded from win98se to win2k ... under win98se I did not have this problem ... It seems to me that I've got some sort of setup issue in win2k which is causing the hangup when all 4 programs run at the same time.... I don't know if I need some sort of proxy allow rule in LnS (because adsubtract acts as a proxy) but adsubtract is already an allowed app in LnS.

can anyone help me resolve this setup issue o_O Educate me please.
    thanks in advance,
    ;)

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Hi
    Hi friedclams,

I have no idea what causes your problem, but I am thinking about your intention of using these 4 programs together at the same time...

I used @Guard many years under Win98, until I moved to Win2k. I never could get @Guard to work with Win2k, so I switched to LnS.
    Since you are using LnS and adsubstract, why would you still need @Guard ?
    I get a full stealth with LnS, and adsubstract could take care of the banners, although I do not use the latter one. Is there any other benefit from additionally using @Guard ?

Thomas :)

3. friedclams

friedclams Registered Member

Thanks Thomas for your response...

You're absolutely correct.... I get full stealth too using only LnS ...

I'm in process of writing down all the reasons why I still need to keep @guard around and there aren't many reasons, for example, I use it to block specific web addresses from loading (I also use the hosts file for that purpose)...

I'll probably drop @guard if I can't solve the problem...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.