Running a DSL modem, want to connect a firewall/router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by new2security, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Hi guys,

As topic reveals, I'm running a DSL modem without any built-in router/fw and have considered buying the router/firewall Netgear FV338.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to networking hardware, so please bear with me if you find my questions totally noobish. ;)

- Does NETGEAR FVS338 have a built-in dsl-modem?
    - If no dsl modem is built-in, how do I know if the router is compatible with my DSL modem? What I want to know is if the router can be plugged in behind my dsl modem.
    I've read up some on the Netgear hardware and it says it has a WAN RJ-45 port... is this where I'm supposed to connect the router to the modem?

Here are two pics showing my dsl-modem. I can't for my life figure out how to connect this thing to the Netgear (when and if I buy one soon)...
    Note the WAN port with the line originating from my phone line.
    The four LAN cables are servicing two PC:s and IP-TV.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    What make/model is that? Which ISP do you use?
    I bet it is a combo modem/router...what makes you want to get that model Netgear?

3. new2security

Sorry, forgot to add that information. It's a XAVI X8222, a crippled modem+router where the router part has been disabled. My ISP is Swedish.
    I opted for the Netgear hardware because it was in my price range and had received many positive reviews.

4. YeOldeStonecat

So your 2x PCs get 2x public IP addresses? Can you confirm that by running an IPCONFIG /ALL on both of your computer?

5. new2security

Yes, I can confirm I have two different ip addresses on both computers (dhcp).

6. YeOldeStonecat

The important part remains unconfirmed ...where they public IP addresses, or private IP addresses (like 192.168.1.xxx or 10.1.1.xxx). Need to know either public IP or private IP.

7. new2security

They're public, both of them.

8. YeOldeStonecat

OK so you have IP addresses that start with something like 62.209.160.

If that's the case, the modem is probably doing the authentication your ISP requires (such as mentioned below)..and you can just get a router...set its WAN interface to obtain auto/DHCP..plug it in..and you're ready to go!

What does your ISP require for authentication methods, if any?
    Some ISPs require PPPoE for DSL, which is a username and password...sort of like a dial up adapter. It's the most common type for DSL (at least in the US), and pretty much all broadband routers support it with the PPPoE dial up adapter.
    Other ISPs require PPPoA (more popular overseas)...similar to PPPoE, it also uses a username and a password..but it's a different type of connection. Not all broadband routers over here in the US support it..matter of fact, most don't.
    And a few are pure DHCP/ATM...similar to cable modems.

And get a router capable of supporting that type.

9. new2security

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it.

Well, my ip-address starts with 85.225...
    But if the router does not have a built-in modem, can I setup the router between the modem and my computer? I simply cannot figure out how to do that; do I keep the WAN line in my modem and plug in the LAN-cables to the router?

As for the method of authentication, sorry, I have no clue but I never type in anything manually so I guess we don't have the auth system here like you have in the US.

10. YeOldeStonecat

WAN/Internet port of your new router, uplinked to one of the LAN ports of your that current ISP supplied gateway in your picture. Both of your PCs plugged into any of the LAN ports of your own router. I'd leave the TV cables where they are in your ISP supplied gateway. Broadband routers that you purchase usually will not have a built in modem.

11. new2security

Thanks. Now I can visualize the proceedure. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.