RSS "additional partitions" setting not stored

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by sharky2000, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharky2000

sharky2000 Registered Member

Hi,

Just trying out RSS for the first time (REL14). Main purpose is to provide an environment (virtual mode) where the youngsters can play around (ie, mainly internet) without damaging the installation.

I added a second partition (drive) to be virtualized via the additional partitions section. However, I noticed that after reboot this setting has disappeared and that I have to manually re-add it every time I start virtual mode. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello sharky2000 and welcome to the forums :)

Did you set the option to the far right of the target drive's listing to "Enable virtualization after reboot"?

Mike

3. sharky2000

Thanks for the welcome and response! Of course I did not try this :oops:. I erroneously interpreted that option as virtualisation for that drive being always enabled (irrespective of virtual mode having been started) ...

In the meantime I have progressed a little further in my set-up and the latest "wish" is to have one single account under W7 having virtualization enabled upon login and the other accounts not. I removed returnil from the all-user startup and added it to the "virtualization" account and enabled virtualization after reboot. It appears that that results in a virtual environment for all accounts. Is there another way to accomplish this?

An additional questions arose during this trials:
    Is there a fool-proof application that shows (on the desktop) that the system is in virtual mode? In the previous set-up after the logoff of the "virtualization" account (iso via the returnil stop virtualization) I still run the risk that I login to another account in virtual mode without knowing. Even with the returnil gui enabled it still requires to open the gui to check if this mode is enabled.

Thanks in advance,
    Michiel

4. Coldmoon

No as the virtualization is system level and not application level. You can think of RSS/RVS as a disk I/O filter where attempted writes are diverted to a cache rather than monitoring what is or is not happening within the file system other than for the Antimalware, IE, and System Restore features for their respective competencies.

The virtualization (as described above) is on for all users regardless of account log-off. As for the warning of the virtualization being on, change the setting for which feature (Virus Guard - default or Virtual Mode) being deactivated will trigger the red shield in the tray icon and desktop toolbar. (Preferences > Admin tab)

Additionally, you can also slide your cursor over either the tray icon or the toolbar and get a small popup showing the status of the VG and/or VM.

Mike

5. sharky2000

I understand that virtualization is at system level. But is there a way that (system level) virtualization can automatically be started upon login of a specific account?

Michiel

6. Coldmoon

No, the authorized user (usually the admin) activates the always on setting for the Virtual Mode feature and then it is on for all who use the computer or when they use the computer. This is due to both security reasons and the physical limitations of the approach itself.

The virtualization in RSS/RVS does not care what happens within Windows. For it to be able to do as you are asking would mean integrating a potentially resource hogging file/Boot manager that may introduce unintended security issues.

If the admin needs to make changes he/she has the following solutions:

1. File Manager
    2. Virtual Mode "Save all changes" -> this should not be used unless you know EXACTLY what the changes are going to be or it could also save unwanted content from another user who simply logged off his/her account and left a "landmine" in place.
    3. Access real disk tool in the VM section: This is a selective tool and does not allow for multi-editing as it was conceived as a convenience tool for a wandering admin in a network scenario. Things like a quick on-scene profile update or change to the registry type of action.

Mike

7. sharky2000

Ok, thanks for the help, guess I have to rethink my strategies.

Still I do not fully comprehend your reasoning. Without the virtualization on boot enabled I can achieve my goal by starting the GUI and manually starting virtualization mode. Hence the only thing that seems to be needed is a script that automates this and add this to an accounts autorun.

I understand that a user has ways to prevent this from being run when logging in, but for my use case (avoiding a child logging into my home computer accidentally damaging the installation) this is not an issue.

Michiel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.