Router questions..

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CJsDad, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

1) How long do routers usually last?
    Shelf life I guess you could call it, just like every few years when someone buys a brand new computer.

2) If looking into buying a new router what are the good brands to buy?
    I have a D-Link DI 604 already.

3) Wireless or wired? Which one? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
    The reason I'm asking is because everytime I walk into a store a sells rep. is always trying to get me to buy wireless.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

1. Usually I have seen routers last 5+ years. It seems to depend more on the technical and/or user service changes that require a new one (now I want wireless, need a better firewall with options, VPN, I need better throughput for my new FIOS...).

2. Good brands are Linksys, DLink, ZyXEL, Buffalo for home use.

3. If you think you may use wireless in the next couple of years I would say go for it - in the meantime turn off the radio. It will save $$ this way when you want to move up unless you are looking for MIMO - then wired only until the standards are set and you need it. Important area is for you to analyze/decide what services you really need and the potential througput. Check the possibility of the download speed you may need over the lifetime of the router and make sure it is capable of handling that throughput with the firewall on. Many give throughput with the firewall off or no information on throughput at all so you just have to ask other users (in the forums) or try one and see.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

We have a Linksys router, actually something called Network Everywhere, Model number NR041, but it's made by Linksys. It leaves 2 ports open, port 23 and port 80. I've tried everything and nothing will close those two ports. It also replies to pings.

Tried contacting the company and my email was kicked back as being unable to deliver - this is using the email address that came with the router.

I read somewhere these open ports are common with Linksys routers and the company will only say not to worry about it. Regardless, we do run software firewalls on our computers just to be on the safe side. In any case, in the few months we've had cable broadband, we haven't had any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.