router/port23

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by slc2k3, Dec 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slc2k3

slc2k3 Registered Member

Hey all,

So many topics to read thru and the search facility didn't help me, so a quick query......

Symnatec port scan showed me as having port 23 (telnet) open, yet in xp under management port 23 is shown as disabled.....is this a ploy by Symnatec to sell software, or is something amiss on my network?

I'm running several pc's for home use (mine is for gaming, the wife uses hers for driving theory test revision along with emails to her secret lovers and my daughter uses hers for school work). I'm connecting all 3 thru a Belkin router, there's nothing of great privacy on these pc's but I guess it's the same thought as having a burglar go thru your underwear collection!

Any ideas how I can close down port 23?

2. snowman

snowman Guest

may I suggest you do a few more port scans...go to wilders free service....there you will find several...pcflank is a good one.

open ports is an issue......an open door to your computer.......someone can gain access..take control of it...or use it to attack others...use it to hack...etc.......excuse me if you are already awear of this...you do realize of course that a compromised computer could allow someone to listen to every word that is being said in the room....an much more....

3. snowman

snowman Guest

may I also suggest that you check out the Firewall forum located above this one

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Check you router's configuration to see if it is holding port 23 (telnet) open for remote administration. If you have such a feature, disable it (unless you require it) and see if that resolves your port 23 issue.

[edit] And welcome to the forum slc2k3 :)

Regards,
    CrazyM

5. wasabi

wasabi Guest

hey slc2k3,

I think i got the same router as u, but i don't have that problem(port 23)..... have u updated ur firmware?

slc2k3, I have a different problem than u my icmp 8 (ping) is open after doing scans, do u have that problem too?

Snowman and crazyM how can i stealth the ICMP 8? I know icmp protocals can no be use to hack through, but a hacker could see my computer. I've updated my firmware and checked my settings, i've also emailed tech support on this problem, and they said they've sent lots routers and haven't had issues on this. Even though my all my other ports are stealth, am i secured? Can a stealth port be broken through, if there is knowledge of computer existance?

6. JacK

JacK Registered Member

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Well not being familiar with that particular router/gateway I can only suggest you re-check all the configuration options. Is there anything there in regards to firewall options? It is likely doing NAT, but some NAT router/gateways will respond to pings and may have an option somewhere to stop this if the user wishes to do so.

Stealth or closed your system is secure. If you have an application or service holding a port open, then any vulnerabilities of that particular application/service would apply.

Regards,
    CrazyM

8. snowman

snowman Guest

Wasabi (the river ? )

mainly replieing so as you don't think I deliberately ignorred you, Jack and CM are the experts in this area.....so anything I say may not amount to more than a plie of stink.....LOl

off the top of my ice covered head the only issue I can think of in regards to a non-stealed/open port(ICMP) is ICMP session stealing and DOS attack........much better to get Jack's and CM's opinion on that........I am not into routers.........was also wondering..if the port is open after you scan....is it possible that its waiting for a reply? An are you using Command Prompt to scan?

which port is it......isn't ICMP port 0 used for scans ?

Hey..I am learning with you guys......

9. slc2k3

slc2k3 Registered Member

I disable each nodes access to 23 in the router config, i have the latest firmaware but the port shows as open on the scan, however it's disabled in the management config. I'm about to try one or two of the other scanners available.

In the meantime (i must sound like the 'newbie' label i've been tagged with on the forum by now), does ne1 know how to change the date in the belkin router security logs? Mine is showing as January 1st 1970 !!!!

10. slc2k3

slc2k3 Registered Member

Well, I did a few more tests and everything is fine, or so it would seem. I just need to figure out this date stamp in the logs.........

Thanks to all for the help and pointers :)

11. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

1970 :eek: ...pausing for flashback...no wonder it was confused :D

Is there a section in the configuration under Sevices for something like Set Time Zone?

Regards,
    CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.