Router has a telnet vulnerability

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ando35, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ando35

ando35 Registered Member

Apparently my router (ATT DSL Motorolla NVG510) has a telnet vulnerability in which someone can enable telnet and then gain root access.

If I disable telnet in my pc and block port 23 (telnet) will that adress it? I don't think it will.

Any ideas besides bridging it.

2. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I have no idea if it would help, but what about limiting the IP addresses that can remotely access it to a local range? e.g. 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.50

If they had root they could easily overwrite that, but it might prevent the connection in the first place?

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Do you have more information on this vulnerability?

If they have to launch the attack from within the network you can just block telnet from your side of things. If they can launch it from outside of the network you need to take other measures, like updating your firmware, putting a hardware firewall outside of the router, or some other hardening method depending on the attack.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Afaik, Telnet, as a protocol, has always been vulnerable for use over the Internet.

If you can login to your router as admin with root access, then you might be able to disable telnet altogether from external access. If you have never changed the default admin password, now would be the time to change it, but first contact your router vendor about how long the admin password field is before you change it if the router documentations does not tell you that information.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.