router firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Drausus, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drausus

Drausus Registered Member

I have 4 pc's connected to my home network via your Belkin F5D7231-4P router, i use file and print sharing on my network so i can share my files, but i am a little worried that i could be open to attacks because i have to leave a unused IP outside of my router firewall (in DMZ settings), this is why:

i have to leave a unused IP in my router DMZ settings (meaning that the IP is outside of the router firewall) to be able to get a fully stealth report by a firewall test, if i dont leave a unused ip in the router DMZ, the firewall test shows as port 113 closed not stealth and i will start getting allot of "Blocked by DoS protection (attacker ip)" messages in my router security log.
    I use the unused ip of 192.168.2.21 in the router DMZ, my PC's on the network only use up to 192.168.2.5
    so i was worried that someone may be able to take advantage of that unused IP in the DMZ (outside router firewall) and gain accsess to my network.
    i really dont understand why i have to leave a IP outside of the firewall to get a perfect test result on a firewall test www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Firewalls i just dont understand:(

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Drausus, Welcome to Wilders,

You should not need to DMZ an IP. Simply port forward "port 113" from the router to an unused IP.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just port forwarded 113 to port 113 and it stealthed it just fine.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello bigc,

I dont have a router that will port forward from one port to another port. Only forward a port to an IP.
    Which router are you using?

5. Drausus

Thank you yes that seems to work, as it now shows as stealth...is this safe forwarding a port to a unused IP? i mean can i get attacked from this..and dose anyone know of any good firewall tests? thanks

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes
    No
    What type of tests? Inbound(scans etc) or outbound(leaks)

If you want to check the firewalls on your LAN (against scans etc), you could try nmap

For "leaks" try Firewall leak tester

7. Drausus

like a good firewall test website that will scan all my ports so i know if i have to forward any more...the firewall test i done on www.grc.com only scans the first 1250 ports.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.