Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I Installed Rollback Rx as I didnt like RestoreIT. There is something Odd going on though, Whenever I start a sweep with Webroot Spy Sweeper at about 4 or 5 minutes into the sweep my computer reboots itself. I tried ecluding the Rollback Folder in program files but that does not help it still reboots itself. It didnt do this untill I installed Rollback Rx, Please can someone shed some light as to what may be going on here? :(

Edit: I uninstalled, and reinstalled Rollback Rx to see if this would help, NO! it made things worse, Spy Sweeper swept slowley for about 20 minutes, then my computer rebooted again,and after the desktop had fully loaded again, the taskbar was half hidden, only the top half of it was showing, and a message saying spy sweeper had been damaged and to reinstall. I rebooted ,and it took an eternity to get past the welcome screen, then after that it was a wallpaper desktop (no taskbar or icons) for another 2 minutes before it kicked in and loaded again, still with half a taskbar showing, and no programs would start, IE7 would open then immidiately close, as did all my other programs. I uninstalled it by pressing the Home Key on reboot and everything went back to normal after it was uninstalled :blink: What on Earth is Going On ? :doubt:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I registered on the datasystems website but it said there was an error activating my account,and to contact forum administrator, Untill I hear back, I cant post my problem :(

4. wilbertnl

Man, are you attracting errors, or something? :eek:

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

DVD+R,

You may not have gotten a clean uninstall of RestoreIT (you did remove RestoreIT before installing Rollback Rx, didn't you?). Both programs modify the MBR and therein could be your problem. In your situation you might want to remove all traces of both programs and then do a FixMBR. Furthermore, while I don't use Webroot Spysweeper, it's possible that it conflicts with Rollback Rx, so I would also remove it for now.

I would then make sure that your system is running ok before reinstalling any of those programs. Once you are convinced all is well, install Rollback again (but not Spysweeper). Take a snapshot or two with Rollback and try restoring one of them, just to see how it behaves without Spysweeper. If all is well, then try installing Spysweeper and see how that goes. If that brings about problems, revert to you most recent Rollback snapshot before installing Spysweeper.

Good luck.

6. osip

osip Registered Member

No problems with Spysweeper and Eazfix...therefor shouldn´t be the case with rbrx either..

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK I've tried again with Rollback Rx, but tell me if I did the right thing in doing what I did? I formatted my pc. created an extended partition for Data only (Mp3's/Photos Etc...) to keep them away from the main system to save space, then I installed everything again on my main partition, Then installed Rollback Rx, but I used the custom installation,and chose to protect [C:] only and leave the extended [F:] which now it tells me that [C:] is the only partition protected. Did I do the right thing? or could I have chosen both,and still had the same space available for snapshots?

8. wilbertnl

You did the right thing. This way the status of F: is not changed when you restore to different snapshots.
    I would also move My Documents to F:. Right click on My Documents and select move.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hmm :blink: I dont have a move option when I right click on My Documents, only send to: and F: isnt shown, so I Clicked Copy,and Pasted The My Documents folder into F: I can access them that way. The My Documents Folder on C: is empty and I copied my data to My Documents F: :)
    By the way, I purchased the professional version,and this runs soothly on my system now,with the exception of the small additional bootup time,which is nothing more than 40 seconds,compared with the 30 something before Rollback was installed, So I cant see what some people people mean when they mention a "HUGE" bootup delay after installing Rollback , maybe I'm lucky and dont experience this :D or maybe the Professional version is much quicker ;) I left the settings at the recommended level, which is set to take a snapshot at midnight each day,and with professional supporting 60000 snapshots, one a day would take 164.38 yrs to complete! :eek: I might well be dead by then anyway :p

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  10. wilbertnl

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK Thanks Wilbert :) One more question though, which I find confusing o_O I did not make any adjustments to any settings when I installed Rollback, the defaut sheduler is set at take snapshot at first boot of the day after 12:00am I just did that, and it took a snapshot, I now have 3. Installation 106MB Locked - Baseline, Scheduled snapshot 49MB Unlocked - Restart, (taken at restart after installation) and the third which it took just now, Scheduled snapshot 942MB Unlocked - Restart. Thing is this o_O why is the first schedled snapshot so big at 942MB o_O I havent added a thing since I installed Rollback, just web surfing and stuff, no software installations or anything like that :blink: Are all the scheduled snapshots going to be this size? I'll run out of space soon if they are :doubt:

12. wilbertnl

Usually the size of snapshots is low, I never tried to remove 1 GB of data and watch the size of the next snapshot. I imagine that your moving data to f: must be recorded somehow.

I want to correct myself: What you see is the difference of data between the snapshot and it's previous snapshot. The size of snapshot itself is small, it only contains the references.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

So what I am to understand from this, is that the next scheduled snapshot Rollback takes, wont be 942MB at all, unless I have added extra software or other things since the last snapshot, or will it still read 942MB and mean that nothing extra has been added since the last snapshot,and my current snapshot size is still 942MB and will read as such with each snapshot, and not increase untill I add further things but will not reduce the space by 942MB each time untill I add more software or such and then only increase the snapshot size,by the size of the software installed Am I right in thinking this :) :)

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Bloody Hell! I'm confuddled with this :blink: I just did a snapshot defrag within the Rollback Console,and now it tells me that my third snapshot is no longer 942MB its been reduced to 506MB :eek: What in the name of Moses is going on :blink:

Edit: I just rebooted and my 4th (scheduled) snapshot was taken, It said 1035MB :blink: I then defragmented my snapshots,and the 4th snapshot, (the most recent ) is now reading a size of 313 MB :blink: how big is an actual snapshot likely to be, if theres no changes to the system from the time of the last snapshot? and why the up and down in size thing ? My point I'm trying to put across here is will I be able to have the 60000 snapshots available (not that I'll need them) or in other words am I going to run out of space? remember only my C: is protected by Roillback, all my data is on F:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I wish I knew which settings for Rollback are the best? the recommended setttings,with scheduler enabled to take a snapshot automatically daily at the first reboot/startup, Or user defined settings,and to disable the scheduler. It has created 2 snapshots over the past 2 days,and each snapshot reads a different size, even though I have not installed any software or updates. The first states a size of 27MB, then I installed Quicken Deluxe 2007 and took a snapshot which reads 333MB yet in Add/Remove Programs Quicken only says its 78.58MB o_O thus I dont understand the quicken snapshot size. Just a few mintes ago, I rebooted my computer,and Rollback took its scheduled daily snapshot which says its 166MB. I dont understand this? since the quicken snapshot, nothing else has been installed, I have used my pc only for web browsing, so why has it took a snapshot of a size of 166MB when I didnt install anything further o_O My Documents folder containing data etc.. has been moved to D: as default and not C: so I cant see it being that,and even so I added no data either.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi DVD+R

1. Unless you have a need, why schedule. Why not just take snapshots when you think you need them.

2. As to the size thing. Remember if you install something that uses say 78meg, you also have system files and stuff changing. All those changes go into the new snapshot. So the increase in size reflects a lot more then necessarily what you added.

3. Deleted stuff doesn't go away, immediately depending on what you are doing, but the defrag does clean all that up, so you would then see the size change.

4. Also consider this. You are working in snapshot a and you add one gig of something to your disk. Your total disk usage would go up by one gig. BUT..... now you create a new snapshot, which doesn't change anything , but just creates a new point in time picture. Then you delete that 1 gig of whatever. Does your disk usage decrease by 1 gig. No. It is still there in the other snapshot. Now if you delete where it is located, and defrag then you will see your disk usage drop.

5. By now you are probably totally confused. This is normal.

Pete

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I guess thats true, otherwise I could end up with dozens of pointless snapshots. I uninstalled it, installed some New software, Did a system cleanup eg.. Virus Scan/Spyware Scan/ System Defrag with PerfectDisk 8 Pro/Deleted All the redundant registry keys/Did a Registry Scan with Registry Mechanic,and deleted the Prefectch folder in Windows/Cleaned Out the system cache (Comp has had a spring clean :p ) And then Reinstalled Rollback, but didnt enable the scheduler, and I'll take snapshots if and when I add stuff. :cool:

18. osip

osip Registered Member

personally I feel comfortable with a daily schedule...You can always delete whenever you feel that some snapshot is too big or just unneeded..

19. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have always taken an on boot snapshot with 14 day auto delete of automatic snapshots - and then just taken special snapshots as required and lock them. Every once in a while I re baseline.

This seems to work fine - that said the KIS problem I had this week simply trashed every reboot snapshot as the damage was done on exit from windows.

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Can you guys confirm what delay you have in reboot or startup times you have with Rollback Rx installed Mine is about 40 from when the microsoft windows xp boot screen appears, is that similar to yours ? It used to take about 30 seconds from cold start.

21. sara15

sara15 Registered Member

Re: Advice please on RollbackRx & non-defragging

Hi,
    The RollbackRx folks very strongly say don't defrag disc - that rollbackrx reads all that movement as new files, and snapshots take longer and get messed up.
    Was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how much speed might be lost by not defragging. I do a lot of graphics work - storing, changing, moving files, as well as report writing (with lots of changes). 100gig drive, xp sp2.
    I thought of uninstalling RollbackRx, defragging the drive, along with other cleanup, and then reinstalling. But won't the drive be refragmented in a couple of months?
    Thanks for any ideas or experience.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: Advice please on RollbackRx & non-defragging

I would defrag without Rollback, then install Rollback, and stick with Rollback's defrag. You can uninstall Rollback and defrag, but how often is up to you.

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hi sara :) Rollback has its own snapshot defragmenter,which defrags the snapshots just like defragmenting your disk normally. Using a defragmenter with Rollback installed will generally report your drives are in good condition anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.