Rollback Rx question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Ashanta, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Hi,

I'm a Rollback Rx newbie user and I've noticed that all datas (photos, images, videos and programs) that I created after the Rollback installation, are appearing in my D drive under Vista, that's normal indeed. B

But, these datas doens't appear if I boot from a Vista Repair Cd ( with the cmd exe) or Hirens Boot CD (with its Explorer program). My D drive is completely empty ! Where are located my datas ? Are they encrypted ?

What's happening if for x reasons, the Rollbacks Console at boot doesn't work, how to recover these datas if Hirens Boot CD or any others Live CD don't detect them ?

Thanks in advance !

2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi Ashanta,

I'm assuming that your D-drive is a logical partition of your physical C-drive which RB is protecting. If that's correct and since you added those photos and other files after installing RB you would not see them when booting up with a Live OS because the Live OS only sees the RB baseline and not your current RB snapshot (nor any other snapshots).

You should make regular use of a disk-imaging program to backup your HDD, just in case RB (or the disk) malfunctions!

JA

3. Ashanta

Hi Jo Ann,

I've two primary partitions C: and D: corresponding to my HDD, only 1 HDD.

Is it possible to have a few RB Baselines or it always one baseline ?

Does it exist a rollback program that make the same but without encrypting datas as Rollback do ?

Which program to back up ?

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

You can only have one RB baseline (it's a permanently locked snapshot reflecting the system state when you installed RB). However, you do not have to protect both partitions unless you prefer doing so. RB can be configured to just protect C: (that's what I do). That way you will always see your current user files on D: whenever you bootup with a Live OS. ;)

RB doesn't really encrypt your data, it just 'takes control' (over Windows) in managing everything on the protected drive (or partition). Your installed Windows and Windows applications only see and update your current snapshot, whereas a Live OS can only see your baseline snapshot.

There are a great many to choose from (just be sure it's a disk-imaging program). As you can see in my signature below, I use (and love) Drive Snapshot, but it is not free!

JA

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Rollback Rx has default and custom installation. In the default installation all partitions are protected, which in your case is drive partition C and drive partition D. In custom installation, you can choose which partitions to be protected by Rollback Rx.

As far as Rollback Rx is concerned, I prefer only to protect the System drive partition C and not to protect the drive partition D. And, to protect the drive partition D with regular imaging.

I hope the above answer some of your questions. As far as baseline is concerned, only one baseline and as many snapshots as you want.

Best regards,

KOR!

6. aladdin

7. Ashanta

That's exactely what I did during the installation, I choose 'Default installation.

Is there a way now to unprotect my D: drive ?

Thanks for your recommend back up, King and Jo Ann.

8. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Hi KOR,

As a user of Keriver 1-Click Restore (Free) can you tell me if it can be installed and work, without conflicting, with RB?

Scott

9. Scott W

Ashanta, in order to do that at this point, you will have to uninstall RB and reinstall it selecting custom installation. Then you can instruct it to only protect your C-drive.

Scott

10. aladdin

Hi Ashanta,

The best thing to do is to uninstall Rollback Rx, then image your drives, also make a backup of your MBR without Rollback Rx being installed with BootIce.

And, then reinstall Rollback Rx and just protect the System partition drive C.

Best regards,

KOR!

11. aladdin

Hi Scott,

Both Rollback Rx and Keriver 1-Click Restore modify the MBR. But the latest Keriver 1-Click Restore (Paid) version gives you a choice not to modify the MBR, thus it co-exists with Rollback Rx. I am not sure about the Keriver 1-Click Restore (Free) version.

On installation, see if you have a choice not to modify the MBR. If it does, then go ahead and install it without modifying the MBR. If it doesn't then cancel the installation.

Best regards,

KOR!

12. Scott W

Thanks KOR, but I have enough testing planned for this weekend (I thought you might have already tried the free version to see if it's compatible with RB).

Scott

13. aladdin

Hi Scott,

I just looked at the Keriver site. And, yes the (Free) version allows you not to modify the MBR just like the (Paid) version.

On installation, make sure that you don't install the "Recovery Console". It is the Recovery Console which modifies the MBR.

If you do the above, then it will co-exist with Rollback Rx.

Features:

Ability to create backups in recovery console.

http://www.keriver.com/OneClickPro/features.html

Best regards,

KOR!

14. Ashanta

If I uninstall Rollback Rx, will my Baseline be removed automatically ? How can I keep it ?

You said: uninstall Rollback, the image your drives, with another program like Image for Windows or Drive Snapshot ?

I was wondering if I back-up all my data to an external drive with no autorun will be the best security choice, with no datas on the computer.

15. aladdin

No big deal of losing a baseline. It is good to create a new baseline once a while by either uninstalling Rollback Rx or choosing to make a new baseline from Rollback Rx program.

It is good to back up your drive partition D to an external drive. But you have also to image your System drive partition C to an external drive. To do this, you need an imaging program.

Best regards,

KOR!

16. Ashanta

Many thanks King and Jo Ann ! ;)

17. aladdin

Hi Scott,

I just installed 1-Click Restore. After the installation, once it is installed, it gives you the option to either install the "Recovery Console" or not to install it. The default option is checked to install it.

So, without the "Recovery Console" installed, it should co-exist with Rollback Rx.

Best regards,

KOR!

18. Scott W

But the link you provided is for the Pro Version's features! :doubt:

19. aladdin

Hi Ashanta,

If you want free imaging programs, then the two best one are:

1. 1-Click Restore (Free) version. Make sure that you don't install the "Recovery Console".

http://www.keriver.com/

2. Macrium Reflect (Free) version.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Both the above are very good for imaging. Use both of them, but have the Rollback Rx uninstalled while imaging.

Best regards,

KOR!

20. aladdin

The link is both for Free version and PRO version. The PRO version has the following extra features:

This program has the following extra features besides all the features included in Keriver 1-Click Restore Free:

1. Ability to recover files from snapshots.

2. Ability to schedule task of creating snapshot.

3. Snapshot management, including create, lock, unlock, delete.

4. Ability to verify the integrity of the snapshots.

5. Provides a detailed event log

6. Ability to change the storage drive for the snapshot

http://www.keriver.com/

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. Take an snapshot with Rollback Rx and install the Free version, after installation, don't install the "Recovery Console".

I just installed 1-Click Restore. After the installation, once it is installed, it gives you the option to either install the "Recovery Console" or not to install it. The default option is checked to install it.

So, without the "Recovery Console" installed, it should co-exist with Rollback Rx.

21. Ashanta

Macrium Reflect and RB rx doesn't coexist if I understand and the only way for 1-Click Restore (Free) version is not to install the console during the installation.

By the way, I've another question, after uninstalling RB Rx, will the datas on my D drive comes back automatically ? I know that I've to make a back up. ;)

I wanted to keep my baseline because I installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware that I plan to uninstall, and I updated the baseline before installing Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

22. Scott W

While I think I understand what you are saying, without the Recovery Console it's no longer a "1-Click Restore"! ;)

Btw, I thought that item 1 (above) was also within the capability (features) of the free version?

23. Scott W

Only if you uninstall RB to your current snapshot, which contains your most current data on D: Please note that if you were to uninstall to the baseline snapshot you would indeed lose all data that was added or updated after installing RB!!!

Scott

Edited for clarification

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  24. Ashanta

Ah ok, I understand that I need to do an 'update baseline' before uninstalling to be sure to have all datas. Anyway, I will back up my datas to the external drive.

Thanks Scott ! :)

25. Scott W

That's really not necessary, but it can't hurt - just be very careful not to 'Reset To Baseline'!!!

I highly recommend that you read this thread, which after a while starts discussing the various ways to image an RB system. I happen to disagree with KOR's statement (in post #19 above) about uninstalling RB in order to image your C-partition (as you will see in the referenced thread). While that is the 'official directive' on imaging an RB drive it's a pain in the butt to do that everytime you want to backup and it truly isn't necessary!

Scott

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.