Rollback Rx in (frozen Mode)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chris12923, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

No problems on my computer with multiple accounts. MS also documented how to customize the default account settings.

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Sorry, my bad -- I was interested in moving my Documents and Settings folder (not just My Documents), as Docs & Settings contains important personal entries (esp. in \[User]\Local Settings\Applications\)!

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

And that divides the folder "D:\My Documents" in users, so that each user sees his documents only and not the documents of the other users, when he logs in his account o_O

4. ErikAlbert

In that case you need nLite, that makes a customized "Windows Installation CD" for you.
    I've done this and the complete folder was moved to [D:] and didn't exist anymore on [C:]. All registries were changed as well.
    I installed MS Office 2000 to see if the default folder settings were changed and they all contained [D:] instead of [C:].
    I didn't go any further with installing the rest of my softwares, but it looked very promising. Even the virtual folder "My Documents" contained the documents on [D:]. I couldn't see any mistake.

5. wilbertnl

That seems like a great idea, but it could have unexpected side effects.
    A better idea is to open regedit and check these keys:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name]
    Yes, it looks like this:
    Code:
    D:\Users\%username%\My Documents
    D:\Users\%username%\Address Book
    D:\Users\%username%\Favorites
    D:\Users\%username%\Mozilla\Firefox
    D:\Users\%username%\Mozilla\Thunderbird

Etcetera.

All you need is a winnt.sif file on floppy with instructions. And have that in the floppy drive during installation.

6. ErikAlbert

nLite does alot more than just moving the folder. I prefer a complete customized Windows Installation CD as a replacement for my original CD instead of a workaround, that most users won't know or understand.
    If a newbie like me can work with nLite everybody can.

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

8. pvsurfer

wil, would you please elaborate on this?

9. pvsurfer

Yes, but wouldn't that mandate a fresh install using the nLite'd Windows CD (and all of my apps)? :eek:

10. ErikAlbert

That requires a fresh install from scratch. You can't move that folder without having at least two partitions. nLite Windows CD does that separation for you automatically during installing Windows.
    It depends on how much you want that separation. If I really want something, I get it done no matter what it costs (time or money).
    In this case it only costs time, because nLite is freeware.
    nLite can also be used to streamline Windows at free will and that can be later usefull to reduce your backup time or having smaller snapshots.

11. wilbertnl

I'm not sure how I can fill you in?
    When you start regedit (from the runbox in the start menu) and browse throught the tree to the named keys, you get something like this:

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/regedit.png

In the statusbar you see the key.

As you can see, it's possible to edit the data to your liking. You do that for every user account.

12. pvsurfer

What I meant was I don't know what you are suggesting should be done when you say 'check these keys' (i.e., how do you suggest I edit the data)? o_O

13. wilbertnl

It's probably easier and safer when you use Microsoft's tweakui in order to move these folders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.