Rollback 8.1 Officially Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks nexstar, i'll try to experiment re: baseline restore, MBR and sector option if i can't boot again with my operating system.

for now i'll enjoy this new image from RBRx8.1. :)

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I thought horizon data sys would provide existing registered users with a build of rollback 8.1 that would allow defrag using command line if requested through support.Well i put a request in through support ticket and was told that build is under development??.So whats going on?
    tia
    ellison

3. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Will Rollback 8.1 fail to restore to a previous snapshot when drive C: is out of free space? I think of the following scenario.

An user makes a snapshot with RB and then uses the PC as usual, deleting files and adding files until the drive C: is (or very close to being) full. Then the user tries to use RB to restore to the previously created snapshot. Will drive C: really return to the previous state since the user could have deleted some files that existed in the snapshot but are now gone. Is this true?

4. ellison64

If my understanding is correct you cant delete files that are in a snapshot ,because its protected and "invisible" to the OS.Also you shouldnt really run out of space as you can set rollback to delete the oldest snapshot ,when free space is below a certain level.
    ellison

5. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Thanks ellison. But does it mean that RB is actually smart enough to tell between special (system/temporary) files that can be deleted even they are included in a snapshot? For example, Windows' own swap file, temporary IE files, etc.

My original thought was that a typical image/backup/ISR program would keep the archived data intact after a successful backup. Even if the backed up harddrive (e.g. C: ) later ran out of space, the image could be restored to it without any problems. When I thought of the way that RB worked, it supposedly only remembered a map of all the sectors on drive C:. So say a snapshot was taken on drive C: and files that belonged to the snapshot were deleted, then presumably RB might "mark" the sectors used by the files as deleted while new files would not write to these sectors. However, when drive C: gets full after many files are added/created/deleted in time will it affect whether the original snapshot can be restored or not? If files in a snapshot are never deleted, how does RB handle the Windows swap file, IE cache, etc.?

6. ellison64

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've taken a quick look at this newer version, and whilst taking a snapshot and restoring to an earlier one works fine, I'm a little surprised they've let this product out without making sure little things such as typos be corrected.

For example, on the Drive image screen, it says 'Creat recovery media'. That should read 'Create recovery media'.

Attached Files:

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Also I don't know whether anyone has got this, but after rolling back to an earlier snapshot, the 'Last restore' date & time doesn't change from 0/0/1500 0:0.

Attached Files:

9. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I have reported both these the first day of release and they are fixed and will be corrected in the next update.

Thanks,

Chris

PS. Thanks for the info though Tony.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm glad you reported them, Chris, but it just surprises me these existed before the product went RTM. Surely someone should have spotted these before it went to print so to speak, especially the last one.

11. Chris12923

I totally understand this and as well voiced my concern about mistakes like this in the same mail. They seem very adamant that it will not happen again.

Thanks,

Chris

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for all the concerns and the responses in like kind. I held severe reservations over RollBack before this latest release, but am optimistically confident now that since those issues have been addressed and with the latest improvements, that it's very worth turning attention to now and they stand to reap some praise instead of complaint.

I mentioned sometime before that i really did find a good deal of excitement with Rollback's concept when i first gave it some paces to run thru, now then this latest offer is very encouraging.

13. fce

fce Registered Member

you won't regret trying ver 8.1

i've been using Rollback Rx ver 8.1 since its release date....working good with my computer setup! (except running Hibernation)

14. dpaulak

dpaulak Registered Member

well i waited, and it did happen....rollback 8.1 came thru just like goback did for me....one click of the mouse and......it got me to except the fact that were going back...way back...before i even installed the os...rollback took me back to a time where i assembly the pc...where no software/os was installed...only some lonely mem sticks and a hdd existing quietly by themselfs.....the dark ages. it did provide some excitment for a few days for me..but that to vanish quickly. wellll..get back up on the horse and try again with another application. oh TI9 has provided me with excellent service..but a restore app would always be nice to have, unlike system restore. i hope rollback works for others for years on end. just wasn't meant to be for me.

15. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I could not agree more and I had one of worst experiences with them in 30 years of being around computers. My view is that they are jaded because of the number of people that ask for refunds. That should tell you something right there.

They are arrogant and argumentative. I told them after I requested a refund that I had a PhD in computer science (they thought I was a novice) and had used computers since 1967 in addition to having owned three major computer companies. They told me " we are sorry we did not address you by your proper title"...this was after I requested a refund and before they told me that had a "switch" version that would allow defragging. Their attitude was go *uck yourself, instead of trying to save the sale. So their marketing and salesmanship leaves a lot to be desired amongst other things. I also called their sales department before my purchase, and the man I spoke to was extremely contentious. He would not be working for any company of mine.

BB

16. Chris12923

One bit of advice I have to give is please trial the product first and use the full trial time. If the product works for you good that long it should be ok. Only in some rare instance will programs run good for the trial and then just go haywire. This is why vendors have trials.

Thanks,

Chris

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Bunkhouse Bunk,

Actually, those details are irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether you are a novice or the guy who actually wrote the application on contract, you're a customer and there are certain levels of service and decorum that should be accorded a paying customer. Yes, some customers have very skewed ideas of appropriate levels of service, but that information can be conveyed without being dismissive to the person.

Whenever I deal with service requests, all anyone knows is that I'm a potential or current customer, that's the only credential that is relevant and that's the only one they get. PhD's can get it wrong in their subject area. Company owners can lose touch with activity in the trenches. Customer's, on the other hand, should get help when it's approrpiate, an explanation when it can't be provided, and a decent level of respect at all times.

Blue

18. Bunkhouse Buck

You missed my point, but I agree with you. The PhD thing was after they were rude and argumentative in their emails. I agree that there should always be a level of respect at all times. But on the phone and in emails, respect was lacking-real lacking.

19. Bunkhouse Buck

The trial did not work on my machine which is where the problems began. They were not helpful in solutions, so I purchased the product to be able to evaluate it. They did not inform me until ex post facto, that they had a switch version available to deal with the defrag issue. But, those details are irrelevant. The premise of my post is that Horizon has bad service on several levels. They may have a good product, but their sales and marketing will alienate a lot of buyers. It cost them my sale.

20. ellison64

Is the defrag version actually available yet?.I recieved an email from 2 people at horizon datasys that says its being worked on and not released yet ,and that i would be informed when it is.
    ellison

21. Bunkhouse Buck

They told me it was available immediately, but failed to offer it to me or show how to download it to save the sale. Either it is not available and what they told me was bs and/or they are such poor salespeople that they did not mind losing me and the large number of computers in my trading operation as potential customers.

I would take their "word" very lightly.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Let's hope the group is just having some bad days like we all go thru sometimes, because what worries me most is since they are now handling Leapfrog's FD-ISR distributions also, what are consumers/customers to think of even THAT product if their concerns are so lightly regarded to a point of rudeness after paying for a particular handicraft (software)

I come across market store checkout people who sometimes snatch money from my outstretched offering given me reason to feel i'm not making some mutual transaction with them but am behind on payment or something. But it does unfortunately happen and is a way of life with some of our purchase experiences.

23. ellison64

Well ive kept the two emails i recieved from them just in case .The last one dated 24th septemeber says it anticipates the defrag build will be ready 2 weeks from that date,and that i would be sent a link.It seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing there,regarding customer support and information given.That aside rollback 8.1 has performed well for me so far.
    ellison

24. Bunkhouse Buck

My experience with software companies in particular is if you have weak links in your organization (marketing/sales) as does Horizon in my view, then the firm will ultimately get run into the ground. Having seen hundreds of computer firms go out of business, I know of none that survived with bad customer service.

BB

25. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi guys,

The defrag version exists and performs well. But it protects the hard disk from tampering, even if you boot from an external source like a bartpe cd. :thumb:

Maybe the support team want to iron it a little more. I would not advise to use it unless you take a full image of your entire disk first, since it hides the partition table, by default from external sources. ;)

ps. If you want to defrag you can do it even with the normal version. I had checked it and it works fine. (I have reported it to the developer.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.