Rogers explains Interenet traffic shaping.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Hammer, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I disagree. If a user pays for 100KB/sec upload, then he has the right to use that upload to the maximum every second of his time!

If the ISP can't cope with that - instead they provide virtual packages they can't really support - then it's fraud.

You get a package, you're entitles to burn the throttle all the way up.

Someone can use FTP to upload terabytes to some obscure server. Will they also limit that man as well?

Mrk

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Mrkvonic, I can't speak for ISPs' in other countries, but here in America, these caps/throttles are done not because they can't handle it,. but because it makes them look better to the anti-p2p people. I'm with you, I pay for a 10Mbit download, 1Mbit upload speed, and that is exactly what I expect to get no matter HOW I use it. However, the USA is not the place to expect that kind of fairness anymore.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

What about customer's fair deal protection, whatever?
    Isn't the customer entitled to what he is supposed to get for his money?

I think you can win in a court over something like this ...

Mrk

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not sure if you've ever heard the phrase "freedom, with their exception", but that phrase basically describes the so called "fair deal protection" and pretty much everything else here in this country. Again, I can't speak for other countries. See, this part is totally off topic, but it's become so easy to sue here, and special interest groups have gained so much power, that it's literally impossible to NOT step on someones toes.

In the case of traffic shaping and an ISPs' absolute power over a customers connection, so many at best too vague, and at worst completely senseless legislations have been passed regarding technology, among other things, that not even lawmakers themselves know what is legal and what is not. Also, money makes the world go around, and ISPs here get plenty of it. They get told to take care of the so-called "illegal downloaders", and get plenty of cash to do it, not to mention being threatened with multi-million dollar lawsuits if they don't comply, and then you suddenly have traffic shaping and all this other nonsense that does NOT stop people from doing what they want.

Again, freedom, with their exception. You can have as much freedom as you choose, unless it takes too many pennies out of a bigwigs pocket.

Edit: I realize the above is political in nature and that may be frowned upon here. However, I invite people to sit down and think of any technology issues, general security (including national) issues, even health issues, that do not have some sort of political influence behind them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.