RFW 2009 (Rising Firewall) Free + RIS 2009 Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Someone, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Re: Rising Firewall Free Edition?

How do you use Vista FW two way? Thought it was inbound only.

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I see... I was just using the free firewall. :oops: Oh well, I'm back to Comodo.

Open the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security interface in the Administrative Tools folder. You have to configure it for 2-way operation and set up your rules manually. Or, you can use Sphinx VistaFirewallControl as an alternative interface to the filtering engine.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Cool I don't' use Vista and am on XP64, since I am behind a router I don't usually use any firewall but the built in one with XP certainly has the least impact.

Btw, How do you find Sleipnir browser as I see that in your signature? Been curious about this one since it comes from Japan.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  4. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

I have removed the mirrored files from my server.

Please use either the tucows mirror mentioned earlier for the free rising firewall and use the freerav.com website for the free rising av.

I don't know anything about rising's products and hence cant answer any questions related to them, sorry.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

So does Vista Firewall have outbound protection with default settings?

Thanks

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

7. Someone

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

It's similar to Maxthon feature wise - superior in some regards and inferior in others. They have a portable version on their download page so it's easy to try.

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I left out PC Tools Firewall.

I'm using Rising Firewall Free. I'm glad with this firewall. Light, easy-to-use, good performance.

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Been trying this firewall for the past few days and it seems to be very light and provides a good amount of info as well.

No issues running it on vista or slowdowns while browsing. Great program.

Anyone change any of the settings or most leaving the default settings? :)

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I use Rising Firewall with default settings. It works nicely in this way.

Without slowdowns and any conflits with others applications. Easy and effective.

It has continuous updates. I installed v. 20.44 Free and was updated to v. 20.55 yet.

;)

12. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Seems like they've taken the links down for this and the free firewall is no longer available.

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Don't know they could be revamping it Rising did not do so well when it was put to the test last I recall.

14. entropism

Fajo, I thought that was for the AV, never saw their FW tested. Except for that Matousec leaktest crap, of course.

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Lol agreed. but who knows maybe rising took that test to heart and pulled it..

never the less there is many other free firewalls out there tho. :D

16. entropism

Not for Vista x64. :( Was going to try PC-Tools and realised it's 32 bit only. Might have to go back to Comodo (this time without D+). Comodo annoyed the crap out of me last time with D+ active though.

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I have had it on my computer for a few days now. it actually quieted down quite a bit. tho I will admit Installs are damn annoying.

18. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ entropism, you can download it here.

Rising is working well here. The free version is updated always without annoyances. The performance is excellent. It isn't HIPS app. like Matousec love to award. It is a particularly bright firewall. Good outbound protection.

19. entropism

MajoMo, thanks for the link. I've been using it for the past few months and have it saved on my computer just in case, but I went to update a friend's computer with something better than the free MacAffe suite that came with her laptop, and couldn't find a working link to Rising.

Frankly, I was thinking of switching to something else because I've been getting some wierd issues with firefox the past few days. Some sites which I KNOW are up will come back with a server not responding error. It could be opening up multiple threads from here in different tabs, it also happened with Apple.com, Ubuntu.com, Hardforums.com, etc. Was driving me nuts.

20. Someone

What's the difference between HIPS and outbound? Does Matousec count a HIPS saying a process has started or something a pass, or does the program have to detect the outbound connection of the leak-test?

Thanks

21. 2good

2good Guest

I've been using this firewall & everything is smooth sailing, as to default setting I enabeld modules rules . its a wonderfull firewall w/o that HIPS crap where you have to answer to a popup every minute.

22. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Rising is very light. What i hate most is the interface, which could be easier and especially the fact that for each application you have to manually edit the rule to "untick" the "allow server rights".

But, behind a router, it's fine!

23. 2good

2good Guest

I'm really surprised that you dont like the interface cause its one of the better ones I'v seen for any security application.any way this firewall reminds me of comodo 2.4 without the high CPU.

24. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I haven't used this firewall for awhile. The automatic updates wasn't to my liking.

Is there anyway to prevent the free rising firewall from updating to a new version (each week, or whenever it does)?

If not, the updates won't bother me too much, and the rest of the firewall seems to work very well.

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Wouldn't you want the firewall to have the latest protection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.