Returnil vs VMware - Anyone use both?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Scoobs, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

its isnt dead coz in work on XP + VISTA ... this 2 OS got long time before they get the "dead status" , till than FDISR will keep kickng arses all over the ISR software :D

chers :thumb:

2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

you dont have to use reurnil in order to freez drive....u can use VMware snapshot before testing new apps

chers

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi demoneye,
    Though it may seem redundant from a certain point of view to use VMWare with RVS active on the host but it is actually a very useful and appropriate configuration. Why do I say this?

The most important reason is to control intentional and/or accidental leakage of unwanted content onto the host OS. I have seen this happen in a professional research lab where it caused the infected system and the researcher to be lost to production while the computer was cleaned and reset. This may seem trivial until you take a closer look at the time wasted that could have been used to analyze malicious content.

Mike

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh gee thanks Mike. Now I have to buy another product.:doubt:

Just kidding.;)

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I know the illegal ways too, but I assume that most members of Wilders, don't do such things and that's why I asked.
    In my newbie time, I had alot of fun with the illegal ways, many infections too, but after awhile, the fun was over. At SWI, I learned to use freewares and stopped completely with getting softwares from illegal websites. I did this more out of fun, than needing the software. I pay now, much easier. :)

6. EarEyeAm

EarEyeAm Registered Member

What do you mean by 'Host System'?

Thank you.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The 'Host' system is the OS that the virtual machine runs on. In my case thats vmware workstation running on vista ultimate 64-bit. I dropped returnil as it doesn't support 64-bit and i figured i didn't need it anyway as rollback rx will suffice. So now i don't run any real time security apart from what vista comes with and an occasional on demand scan with kaspersky.

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

So you run Blink inside your VM? It is an interesting approach and is actually the opposite approach I'm taking. I have all my security software on the host and have xubuntu as the guest os for browsing only.

This is better to my other alternative of firefox with noscript and sandboxie which gets tiresome.

9. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Very intresting idea. Maybe I test that some day (running inside of VM SliTaz atm).

10. farmerlee

Yeh i currently run blink personal inside my xp pro VM. I used to have a setup like yours but then i stopped and wondered whats the point of running all this security on my host when theres little risk to it. So i changed setups and haven't looked back.

11. farmerlee

If you're interested in keeping your host at peak performance like i am then i find its a good option.

12. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yes doesn't having two instances of windows running at the same time really slow your computer down?

13. farmerlee

I wouldn't say it 'really' slows down my laptop, but naturally there is going to be some slow down when running two operating systems at the same time, how much slowdown depends on how you have the VM configured. I can quite easily run my VM and still play games and do other tasks on the host just fine.
    However i don't need them both running all the time so when i'm not using my VM i have it paused in which case the only thing it consumes is ram which i have 4 gigs of so it doesn't matter.

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't see any slow down. The host computer doesn't know there is another copy of windows runnng. In my case it just knows there is a 1.1gig process running. With enough ram it doesn't matter.

15. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I have a slowish laptop with two gigs of ram so I cant run a big OS in the host system. That is why I use linux as the guest. I run Xfce in it and it is very quick.

I still wouldn't run Returnil on my host though as it is too intrusive.

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Applies to many things in life
    :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.