Returnil Question

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by SourMilk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Should I use memory or disk cache on my gaming computer?

Thanks in advance,
    SourMilk out

2. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

I first tried disc caching then loaded my game with no apparent reduction in game performance but after adjusting game setting and reloading it again (no reboot), the game simply bogged down on me... Tried doing the same with memory cache and no performance issues with regards to gaming so stuck with memory caching eversince.

Hmm I wonder though if the pagefile is still needed while running Returnil with memory cache on.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Memory IS much faster than disks. So it seems logical to me that it is a big advantage, when you have a large memory as Returnil-user. If not you better use disk cache.
    FDISR is the slowest one of all ISR-softwares, because it has no virtualization and it scans my entire system partition to undo changes by adding, removing and replacing objects.
    Nevertheless my reboot from desktop to desktop is about 2 minuts, total cleaning included, which is acceptable for me.
    Returnil isn't able to reach the same level of cleaning, because it can't keep a system partition in an unused state forever, unless you use Image Restore, while FDISR can do this during each reboot.
    I clocked it one time and Returnil rebooted 20 seconds faster, waiting 20 seconds is quite a long time

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I guess so, more then ever because memory is lost due to memory cache.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  5. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

My game pc uses 3gb of memory so I will try the memory cache. My general use machine uses FDISR frozen snapshot with OA HIPS. Feel pretty secure there. :)

Again, thanks for your replies.
    SourMilk out

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

WOW. 3gb, I only have 2gb, but we have one thing in common : a frozen FDISR-snapshot. :D

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I am just upgrading Returnil from the 1.70 ver to the 2008 version and am also wondering whether there is any advantage between disc cache or memory cache. Have done some searches and this is the only thread I can find. Did anyone ever arrive at a conclusion as to which is best or even the pros and cons?
    Thanx

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Using the mem cache method here and I think Returnil will still use paging to disk if and when it needs to, in the case of running out out available memory.

So in effect if you have more than enough memory then using the mem cache method should speed things up but you won't be able to commit changes on the fly as that requires the disk cache method.

With using the mem cache method you can still save data to another partition, flash or cd.

9. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Thanx Franklin, so apart from it fascilitating the ability to commot changes, it serves no other purpose, that is to say has no major advantage, and possibly has the cost of speed performance as things have to be written to the disc cache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.