Returnil Premium Install

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chris1341, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I have been using the free and now the Premium editions and have yet to see any slow downs with it.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

That's where virtual comes in...

3. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

welp i said a "slow down " in matter of returnil and same like it work in background all time , and when pc is very heavy on system resource in use , u can feel the slow down...just compare both cases with and with out returnil.

not mention loosing stuf wjen u got BSOD or electrical blackout .

i was using DF for couple of month (also returnil) and i speak from a point of experience in that isue.

i now moved to FDISR with is the best there is....a combine of returnil + EF + SU

cheers:cautious:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

demoneye, every time I get ready to exit out of Returnil, I run Cure-it. It has yet to find anything. Thus my argument about you really dont get infected as some want you to thnk. Yes it can happen, but to the extremes you mentioned are very rare. Plus nothing can even totally protect you so why worry,be smart.

5. demoneye

welp , i need more flex inviroment for mr to work around. returnil/DF etc... doesnt supply all my needed.... FDISR does as i explain :cautious:

cheers:gack:

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I have Returnil in a FDISR snapshot,its my daily work snapshot,kinda double protection,maybe redundant,they play nice together !

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If I put these issues aside :
    - testing reboot-softwares.
    - getting rid of tested reboot-softwares.
    - the possibility of having more than one snapshot/archives.
    then Returnil is better and safer than FDISR and would be a possible choice for me.

When you have something very good, it's hard to take a step back and having less. :)

8. demoneye

hehe erik u put aside to all pc uses lol.... u can add "software update" (like ms) in your "put aside issues" :argh:

9. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

There are a couple of ways to handle Microsoft updates. The first is to simply turn the protection off and then download/install the current updates. These come once a month for the most part.

The second way to address this is to use the total Session Save option. This is a bit more advanced and you will need to ensure that you have adequate disk cache space to do this (at least 2x the space for the total updates/changes). For this reason we recommend turning the protection off to ensure that you do not run into any problems as the required space can differ significantly from month to month depending on what Microsoft releases.

Mike

10. demoneye

yep... as i said if i choose between all of its returnil kind... i vote for it...but in a pro user state... when software need to be tested (like nod32 new ver time 2 time) there is nothing greater than FDISR....if some company take its idea and continue develop it from the point it stoped...they gona make a big bucks lol

11. demoneye

in FDISR there is a "feez snapshot" which do the same job (not self protection) as returnil....

cheers:doubt:

12. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

Cool, I have never had a chance to try this one. It sounds very nice. I have some questions.

Does it protect the MBR and first track in the disk?
    IS there some function to save special file when protection enabled?
    Does it modify the MBR after installed?
    Does it have compatibility issues with other bootloader like Grub?
    Can it enter the protection on the fly?
    Is it immune to the low-level disk access?

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This thread is about Returnil, not about FDISR. There is a forum at Wilders dedicated to FDISR.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And I am still sold, 2 weeks later,:cautious: on Returnil. What concerns me is, how many new start up programs has been introduced in the last year promising the same protection already offered by others. To many I feel and at what cost.$

15. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

And I can't believe you haven't changed off of Returnil for 2 weeks. :D

Returnil has become a permanant fixture on my computer also. I got the Premium version but only running it in memory for now.

16. subset

subset Registered Member

Me too, I like this "nothing will survive" basic approach. :D
    I use Returnil only on demand for potentially dangerous and known dangerous situations.
    But of course its features, like covers only system partition and only until next reboot, are fixing strict limits.
    Even so, who cares if it answers a person's purpose.

Cheers

17. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

So it takes TWO reboots to clean the malware? I thought it was just a reboot and done?

18. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Trying to harm my computer intentionally in the real world and still unsuccessful.

Attached Files:

19. Coldmoon

Hi,
    I think you are using an older build of 2.01. Can you upgrade your copy to the current public release? Let me know if you need a new Serial Number.

Thanks
    Mike

20. yankinNcrankin

2.0.1.7067 is the latest beta at Major Geeks I tried it earlier and it has no anti-execute function only file protection. The version I got is the 2.1.0.5829 beta for China's testing, it has a HIPS type system plus file protection. Maybe you can clear up some confusion by telling us if the Chinese beta versions are ahead of the other versions posted at Major Geeks?

21. Coldmoon

22. yankinNcrankin

Ok I see now lol :D That answers all. I think the others over at the other side were a bit thrown off by the versions, I personally have an understanding now thanks. :)

23. Coldmoon

:D no problem.

We begin testing in China before we release at Major Geeks. When we release at MG however, all versions tested there and here are the same until the final release version, then the cycle begins again...

This is why the English language in the GUI is not as polished as it is when we move to the general public testing release.

The Anti-Execute is not a full featured, mature HIPS program and it is not intended to be; rather it and the Autoruns Plug-in are designed as a tag-team to provide a solution against the Chinese dog Trojans.

HTH
    Mike

24. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

Is this new function useful? I still doubt it.

25. bdrive

bdrive Registered Member

If I run returnil+geswall exclusively and I only have 1 partition, is there really anything that I would be exposed to? If I understand correctly, anything that I happen to pick up won't be able to accomplish anything anyway with its limited rights from geswall.. and then it gets wiped out by returnil after a reboot. Is there a hole somewhere in this logic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.